The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

when to not whistle a T

I'd be interested in hearing whether any veterans have decided it is best to not whistle a T which is assessed during a dead ball. For instance, a foul is called on B1 who just clobbered A1 during a layup attempt and as you are turning to report the foul B1 decides to mouth off. Is it best to assess the T without a whistle?? I'm thinking that it might help keep the game more calm and in control overall if a whistle is not used, but I won't know that from experience for several more years. What are the benefits/pitfalls of whistling, or not whistling, on a dead ball T?

Similar instances would be:
dunking before the game
illegal substitution
coach's demeanor during a dead ball

Thanks
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=jkjenning]I'd be interested in hearing whether any veterans have decided it is best to not whistle a T which is assessed during a dead ball. For instance, a foul is called on B1 who just clobbered A1 during a layup attempt and as you are turning to report the foul B1 decides to mouth off. Is it best to assess the T without a whistle?? I'm thinking that it might help keep the game more calm and in control overall if a whistle is not used, but I won't know that from experience for several more years. What are the benefits/pitfalls of whistling, or not whistling, on a dead ball T?

Similar instances would be:
dunking before the game
illegal substitution
coach's demeanor during a dead ball

1. Define clobber. If the contact is that bad maybe you may consider intentional or flagrant. Be proactive going isn't the only thing to consider.

2. Define mouth off. Again be proactive, if even to pull players aside and to address behavior.

3. Dunking before game. If you see it, it's a no brainer. T

4. Illegal sub. If they sub illegally. T

5. coach's demeanor. Your the only one who can judge that. Everyone has a different threshold.

Good luck!

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 12:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

He's not asking when to call a T, he's asking which Ts get a whistle and which ones don't.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 12:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If it's not administrative, I whistle it. Dead ball contact that deserves a T, blow the whistle as it defines the two separate acts (the one that caused the dead ball and the one that caused the T).
Pregame dunking, no whistle. Just inform the table and the coaches. Scorebook infractions, same deal.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry if I miss-understood. I'm in a IT class and I am bored.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969
Sorry if I miss-understood. I'm in a IT class and I am bored.
No problem.

There was one T that I should have called this season and did not, against an assistant coach but the scenario was unusual enough that I err'd on the side of restraint. Anyway, it seems to me that assessing a T against a coach when you are already on the sideline might be best done in as quiet a manner as possible... so that particular [missed] T factors into my question - would it have been more provocative to add a whistle when assessing a T when you are already tableside? does the whistle tend to emphasize clear communication? or does the whistle tend to escalate emotional situations?

I could see where a whistle for a pre-game dunk would inform the entire gym of the T and could be good communication.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 01:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you're T'ing a coach, blow the whistle. It lets both benches know what's going on, so you'll have less explaining to do. The other team doesn't care why you called it, so you only need to let them know you did it so they can get a shooter.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 01:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would only not blow the whistle before the game or completely during halftime. I would also not blow the whistle during a scorebook T, mainly because the coach would already know there was a T.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I would only not blow the whistle before the game or completely during halftime. I would also not blow the whistle during a scorebook T, mainly because the coach would already know there was a T.

Peace
I would handle it as Rut said as well.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Always use your whistle except for administrative T's. The whistle is the main manifestation of your authority. Use it.

Those of you from Michigan, sorry for using such big words.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Always use your whistle except for administrative T's. The whistle is the main manifestation of your authority. Use it.

Those of you from Michigan, sorry for using such big words.

Had a pregame dunk attempt, still grabbed rim and snapped it against the board....we were just walking on the court so I continued over to visitor bench (V also attempted dunk)....told him what we had, did the same to the H coach....No whistle....started with free throws and a team foul on the visitors and PA announcer told crowd the reasoning and situation....no problems.....

IMHO no whistle needed on any pregame T.....
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

The only T I don't use my whistle for is before the game starts. Dunking in pregame, illegal number in the book etc. During the game I use my whistle on all others just to help communicate what is going on. In any case of unsportsmanlike behavior the get a little louder and stronger whistle.