The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Bottom Line: The kid never signed any paper to go to Illinois so he could change his mind at any time and that's simply what he did. You have grown men who sign paperwork to be at a school and leave 1 month later...who's the real "traitor"?

Plus Illini fans have to take into account the kid is actually from INDIANA! Why wouldn't the kid want to stay in his home state????

I love the fan who says 'its his fault we have a losing record'........LOL! Hilarious! Grow up...get a life! Slavery is over...the kid doens't owe Illinois anything.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Once again you are trying to compare apples to prunes.
Jeff, you keep putting the prunes in my apple basket. You keep bring up all the different situations - I just asked a straightfoward question without all the conditions you keep adding.

If I agree to take a game with a school, I will not back out of that to take another same-level game just because it pays more or is closer to home. If there is some reason I turn back a game to work at a higher level, I will help the AD find a replacement official. I don't just back out and say, "Sorry, your loss". Now, with the time that's past, I have put the AD in a situation where it's harder to find a suitable replacement.

Essentially, that's what Gordon did - he went to a same-level school, just to be closer to home, and left IL with less time to find a replacement. I agree with you that Gordon's decision is a far more important one than taking a refereeing job for an evening. Which, to me, makes his word all the more important in this case. Of course, Gordon had the opportunity to go wherever he wanted. So, why did he make the oral commitment? Why didn't he just wait to make his commitment until the actual signing day?

I don't wish any ill will on him for doing what he wants to do. (Although he would look much better wearing orange and blue...) He apparently didn't do anything illegal. But, isn't a person's word worth anything? Keeping my word is important to me. Perhaps it's just not that important to other people. Too bad.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official
Bottom Line: The kid never signed any paper to go to Illinois so he could change his mind at any time and that's simply what he did. You have grown men who sign paperwork to be at a school and leave 1 month later...who's the real "traitor"?
People rob banks all the time, so that's why I should be able to do it too.

Makes sense.

(Used with permission.)