The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
I didn't see the replay on this to watch the clock but thought it was fast. I can't remember the last time I've seen this called...especially with little or no backcourt pressure.
In real time, I thought it was quick. However, the shot clock was down to 24 when he called the violation.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
I didn't see the replay on this to watch the clock but thought it was fast. I can't remember the last time I've seen this called...especially with little or no backcourt pressure.
When the shot clock got to 25 the official (I believe it was Hillary) straddled the halfcourt stripe, and when it hit 24 and the player had a foot still in the halfcourt, he signaled the violation.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You're actually trying to apply the concept of ethics to D1 recruiting?

Silly monkey!
Picture of M&M Guy reading about ethics:

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 11:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
See that's the thing, Illinois didn't think he was a free agent. Apparently the kid's word doesn't mean much.
Wait a minute. The Illini fan is coming out. Your word only applies when everything stays the same. Gordon changed his mind because the circumstances changed. He verbally committed to Illinois because Davis was the coach at Indiana. And based on Davis' unstable behavior I would not have wanted to play for him either. Davis retired and the kid changed his mind because the circumstances at Indiana changed. Any adult has a right to change their mind from time to time and definitely when circumstances change.

Just take the loss like a true Illini fan and stop blaming your failure on a kid that wanted to stay home.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Wait a minute. The Illini fan is coming out. Your word only applies when everything stays the same. Gordon changed his mind because the circumstances changed. He verbally committed to Illinois because Davis was the coach at Indiana. And based on Davis' unstable behavior I would not have wanted to play for him either. Davis retired and the kid changed his mind because the circumstances at Indiana changed. Any adult has a right to change their mind from time to time and definitely when circumstances change.

Just take the loss like a true Illini fan and stop blaming your failure on a kid that wanted to stay home.

Peace
Hey, first of all, I'm blaming the loss on terrible FT shooting. Well, ok, I'm blaming it on Gordon for not being here to teach better FT shooting...

But I would certainly feel better if IL could play MI a few more times.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 11:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Hey, first of all, I'm blaming the loss on terrible FT shooting. Well, ok, I'm blaming it on Gordon for not being here to teach better FT shooting...

But I would certainly feel better if IL could play MI a few more times.
We have national championship banners hanging up in our gym. Maybe that success could rub off.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 11:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
We have national championship banners hanging up in our gym.
Yeah, dusty banners.

Very dusty.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 11:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yeah, dusty banners.

Very dusty.
It is better to have a banner that is dusty than none at all. Ask M&M about how many they have hanging in their gym?

Peace
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your word only applies when everything stays the same. Gordon changed his mind because the circumstances changed.
Well, I just re-read this, and have a question for you - what about the IL program changed? Did the coaching staff change? Did the scholarship offer change? Did the program get placed on probation since his commitment? Did the school burn down or lose it's accreditation? There's nothing about the program he committed to that changed.

I think it's wrong the NCAA locks in a kid who signs a letter of intent, even though the coach might leave. And in this case, Gordon didn't sign anything, so he is free to make another decision.

Let me ask you this - an AD calls you to do a game next season on a Friday night, and you agree to take the game. A little while later, an AD from another school calls you to do a game for them on that same night. The school's a little closer, and the pay is a little more. Do you honor your first commitment, even though you haven't signed the contract yet? Or do you take the closer game, call the first AD back and tell them , "Never mind"? Have you done anything "wrong" by taking the second game? No. Is it it right? No.

Gordon didn't do anything "wrong" either. But that still doesn't keep us IL fans from being grumpy about it.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is better to have a banner that is dusty than none at all.
Absolutely true.

And I'm speaking as a Cub fan.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Gordon didn't do anything "wrong" either. But that still doesn't keep us IL fans from being grumpy about it.
Hey, you came up a Hummer short. Deal with it.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, you came up a Hummer short. Deal with it.
No Hummer dealerships in Champaign. I believe the closest one is in Indy.

Figures.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well, I just re-read this, and have a question for you - what about the IL program changed? Did the coaching staff change? Did the scholarship offer change? Did the program get placed on probation since his commitment? Did the school burn down or lose it's accreditation? There's nothing about the program he committed to that changed.
Come on now, you know his decision was not just about the Illini.

Quote:
I think it's wrong the NCAA locks in a kid who signs a letter of intent, even though the coach might leave. And in this case, Gordon didn't sign anything, so he is free to make another decision.
Exactly.

Quote:
Let me ask you this - an AD calls you to do a game next season on a Friday night, and you agree to take the game. A little while later, an AD from another school calls you to do a game for them on that same night. The school's a little closer, and the pay is a little more. Do you honor your first commitment, even though you haven't signed the contract yet? Or do you take the closer game, call the first AD back and tell them , "Never mind"? Have you done anything "wrong" by taking the second game? No. Is it it right? No.
It all depends on the circumstances and the situations surrounding my decision. If what I was told was not true or changed after my decision, I might change my mind and I have in those situations. I have backed out of many of those situations because I was lied to about everything from the level I was to work to what I was supposed to be paid, to the time the game was suppose to start. If the situation changes, I have a right to not work any game if what I was told was not true. And that would be the very same if I had a contract. That is why I do not make a habit to work without contracts.

Also keep in mind that a kid going to a college is a life changing decision and the most important decision a kid will make at that point in their life. And just like any student that graduates from any good school, their life is affected by that decision much more than whether I accept a game that only will affect me for one evening. I do not look at the two situations the same on any level.

Quote:
That is fine, but do not make it sound like the kid violated some code of ethics to stay closer to home (Which is going to affect his family more than you will ever know. I say that because I had two family members that played major college football). There is more at stake in his life than whether he plays basketball at the Illini.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It all depends on the circumstances and the situations surrounding my decision. If what I was told was not true or changed after my decision, I might change my mind and I have in those situations. I have backed out of many of those situations because I was lied to about everything from the level I was to work to what I was supposed to be paid, to the time the game was suppose to start. If the situation changes, I have a right to not work any game if what I was told was not true. And that would be the very same if I had a contract. That is why I do not make a habit to work without contracts.
Ok, so let's say the first school was honest about everything - start time, pay, varsity game only, working with 2 other good partners, etc., is it ok to verbally commit to that school and AD, only to tell them later that you've got a better offer for the same level game at a school closer to home?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 01:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Ok, so let's say the first school was honest about everything - start time, pay, varsity game only, working with 2 other good partners, etc., is it ok to verbally commit to that school and AD, only to tell them later that you've got a better offer for the same level game at a school closer to home?
Once again you are trying to compare apples to prunes.

I very well might take a game closer in that situation if I have a qualified sub that can cover the game. I have also been in situations where I have traded games with officials for all kinds of reasons. Several years ago I traded a varsity games with a friend because of a situation that took place with one of the school administrators at one of the schools and it was in the best interest of one of the officials to move off of the game. And there was a written contract in both situations. If situations change, the decisions change.

Peace