The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Indiana / Illinois (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41699-indiana-illinois.html)

rgncjn Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:35pm

Indiana / Illinois

Jay Bilas must have arrangements at the conclusion of the game. He has been ripping the officials from the end of regulation through the first OT.

On a lighter note, everytime Welmer gets face time, he is hiking up his trousers. :D

rgncjn Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:43pm

Yikes... A 10-second count by the freshman!

lpbreeze Fri Feb 08, 2008 01:59am

I didn't really dislike Bilas before this game even though his east coast bias gets out of hand at times. But he was awful. kept saying what a team needs to do and then something else happens. Bilas- they need to drive the lane. guy swishes a three.
hey that wasn't michael jordan :rolleyes:

lpneck Fri Feb 08, 2008 08:38am

Full disclaimer that I am completely an Indiana fanboy...

I thought the game was pretty well officiated last night, but there are two plays I would like to get others thoughts on.

1.) Does anybody else have a technical foul at the start of the game for Frazier's "chest bump" during introductions against Gordon? That was a pretty big cheap shot.

2.) I know no one wants to make a call on an 80 foot desperation heave, but I think there has to be a foul on Pruitt against DJ White at the end of the game. There was a similar play in the Rutgers-Maryland women's game this year with less than 1 second to go and the officials (correctly, I believe) called that foul.

Just was wondering if anyone who saw those two plays had a take on them.

fullor30 Fri Feb 08, 2008 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpneck
Full disclaimer that I am completely an Indiana fanboy...

I thought the game was pretty well officiated last night, but there are two plays I would like to get others thoughts on.

1.) Does anybody else have a technical foul at the start of the game for Frazier's "chest bump" during introductions against Gordon? That was a pretty big cheap shot.

2.) I know no one wants to make a call on an 80 foot desperation heave, but I think there has to be a foul on Pruitt against DJ White at the end of the game. There was a similar play in the Rutgers-Maryland women's game this year with less than 1 second to go and the officials (correctly, I believe) called that foul.

Just was wondering if anyone who saw those two plays had a take on them.

I saw the chest bump, it was a cheap shot. Technical? No way.

M&M Guy Fri Feb 08, 2008 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
I saw the chest bump, it was a cheap shot. Technical? No way.

I saw the renege on his committment before the season - that was a cheap shot. Technical? No way. :)

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 08, 2008 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I saw the renege on his committment before the season - that was a cheap shot. Technical? No way. :)

Fanboy alert, fanboy alert......

Adam Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Yeah, they always seem to start popping up this time of year.

M&M Guy Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:03am

Quote:

At least this fanboy will probably be fading back into the woodwork after the first round of the Big Ten tournament this year.

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:20am

Quote:

At least this fanboy will probably be fading back into the woodwork after the first round of the Big Ten tournament this year.

Geeze, how can you get mad at the kid, Gordon, anyway? He was a free agent. That means he gets to accept the best offer.

Indiana just has a higher salary cap. Shrug.

BEAREF Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgncjn
Yikes... A 10-second count by the freshman!

I didn't see the replay on this to watch the clock but thought it was fast. I can't remember the last time I've seen this called...especially with little or no backcourt pressure.

M&M Guy Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:48am

Quote:

Geeze, how can you get mad at the kid, Gordon, anyway? He was a free agent. That means he gets to accept the best offer.

Indiana just has a higher salary cap. Shrug.

See that's the thing, Illinois didn't think he was a free agent. Apparently the kid's word doesn't mean much.

But, it would've been nice to have him here, if only to teach some of the other IL players how to shoot FT's. Pruitt had a chance to put IL ahead in both regulation and the first OT if he would've made just one...just one lousy FT...one is all I'm asking... http://emoticons4u.com/sad/310.gif

fullor30 Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:59am

Quote:

See that's the thing, Illinois didn't think he was a free agent. Apparently the kid's word doesn't mean much.

But, it would've been nice to have him here, if only to teach some of the other IL players how to shoot FT's. Pruitt had a chance to put IL ahead in both regulation and the first OT if he would've made just one...just one lousy FT...one is all I'm asking... http://emoticons4u.com/sad/310.gif

Kind of like a coach who sits down to apple pie at a recruit's house with mom and says he will take care of her boy and make sure he's tucked in at night and graduates. He then bolts for Upper U and a fatter offer the first chance he gets.

Please, any 17-18 year old kid has far better ethics than anyone associated with any big time program.

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:00am

Quote:

You're actually trying to apply the concept of ethics to D1 recruiting?

Silly monkey!:rolleyes:

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Please, any 17-18 year old kid has far better ethics than anyone associated with any big time program.

Naw, I think that most of both sides share the same lack of ethics when it comes to the recruiting merry-go-round.

The <i>rah-rah, sis boom bah</i> boolsh!t went out of style a long time ago.