The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Question

Does anyone know of any men's college basketball referee camps in Indiana, Illinois, or Ohio??? I'm interested in attending basketball referee camps in these states next summer. Please let me know if you have any information on this message board or via e-mail ([email protected]). Thanks.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 11:19am
Do not give a damn!!

There are several in Illinois to attend. But what kind of camps are you trying to come for? Are you trying to just learn 3 Person or 2 Person? Are you trying to move to college ball or just work be evaluated at the HS level? There are several camps you can attend here, many are very good and worth traveling for. Others you should just stay home. So why would you attend a camp in Illinois? Depending on your answer, I can give you further information.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

JRutledge, I'm interested in moving into officiating men's college basketball (juco, community college, and division 3). I'm not too picky on whether it is 2 man or 3 man college games, but I want to attend a 3 man officiating camp. I'm currently not officiating any college basketball games and looking to take the next step. The reason I want to go to a camp in Illinois is due to the fact that I would like clinicians from different states and backgrounds to provide constructive criticism. For me, it's a new look at my mechanics, positioning, and judgement. In addition, I wouldn't mind officiating college basketball games in Illinois (I currently reside in Michigan).
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 02:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is the very reason I asked.

Check the IHSA.org website. Contact the Head Clinician, Harry Bohn. He holds a camp every year and assigns college conference, mainly in the Chicago and Indiana area. This might a good camp to attend. At his camp is the CCIW Assignor (a D3 Conference) and he evaluates people at this camp as well. His name is Ken Mazarkia(sp?). You might contact him as well. Not sure where you live in Michigan, but Ken's schools are in Wisconsin and Indiana as well. This camp will be going on at the end of this month. It is probably too late to go this year, but if you contact Harry, I am sure he will send you information for next year. The camp is held in the suburbs of Chicago.

You could also the Moody Bible Camp as well in Chicago (University of Illinois Team Shootout). Ken Mazarika(sp?) also attends that camp as well. Good observation camp and some of the best clinicians in the State attend. Also many HS assignors are there. Wes Fritz also attends this camp and he assigns both Men's and Women's basketball that cover Wisconsin, Indiana and Illinois. Not sure exactly where his Men's conferences are all located, but I am sure he can directy you in the right direction if you attend the camp.

Check out this website I am listing below. This has most of the major camps in our area and some other information about Eric Harmon's Camps and the Big Ten Camp. It might be too late to register now, but at least you have the information.

LaMar Simpson is a very good person to talk to. He is a a D1 Officials that knows a lot about working basketball at the college level and always gives good information about working college ball in our area. His information is listed on this website. Contact him as well and tell him I sent you to him. He would know even more about your state and Indiana. I am just scratching the surface of what is out there.

More Camp Information

Peace
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Honig's website also lists several camps and clinics
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

JRutledge, out of all of those camps, which one would you say is worth the time and money??? Which one does an official have a better shot at receiving college games at the end of the camp???
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

JRutledge, out of all of those camps, which one would you say is worth the time and money??? Which one does an official have a better shot at receiving college games at the end of the camp???
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 10:19am
Do not give a damn!!

They all are to me.

They all are worth it if you want to get hired. Most college assignors are not going to hire you without seeing you work. And it might take a couple of times to get hired. I really cannot tell you what you are willing to do and not willing to do. I live in the area, so for me the travel is minimal. But you are coming from another state and another area. I do think they would be worth attending so that you can gain some knowledge. At all these camps I told you about, the competition is very good and you will get some very good officials instructing you.

You probably just need to contact the camps and the assignors to find out if coming to the camps are worth your while. I think they are all worth it, but I do not have to consider the same expenses you do to attend.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

There is a new "exposure" camp during the Braidwood Shoot-out July 9 & 10. Maziarka and other assignors will be there. You can get more info from Robert at [email protected] He can get you more info.