The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=kblehman]I had my first inadvertent whistle Tuesday. For some unknown reason my whistle blew as a FT was being rebounded. It was the strangest thing--I had no mental intention to blow it, it just sounded. Wierd. Anyway, the defense had clear posession so we awarded it OB to them, no problem.
QUOTE]
Can anyone explain to me how the defense had possession of the ball or is this a different game than I am used to officiating?
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Dont feel bad. Had one last night also. I was trail. Loose ball and white recovers (in backcourt) passes around and not 1 player from either team went to the proper direction. A4 received a pass and she takes off for the frontcourt. As soon as she steps in her frontcourt I blow my whistle and not 1-2 seconds later (as she is going in for a layup unguarded, all the other 9 players still at the other basket) I realized that I had just blew it.

As I am doing this, the A HC is yelling at her, "why are you going to the wrong basket". I turned around and looked at the coach, and advised I had an IW and that the player was shooting at the proper basket. The HC laughed and looked at A4 and said "I will just be quiet the rest of the game". The player just laughed an looked at me and asked me "Did my layup count". I said unfortunately no but you do get the ball back.

All the fans in the gym laughed at both of us (A HC and myself). Thank goodness it was the 4th Quarter and A was leading 48-30.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I've done this twice and thankfully it was years ago. Both times were due to working in gyms that had lines on the court for every conceivable game that might be played on the hardwood -- basketball, volleyball, soccer, jai alai, whatever!

One was a backcourt violation, which I then quickly realized it was not the backcourt line, but one about 2-3 feet from that. I corrected my mistake, gave the ball back to the team in possession, and moved on.

Second was an OOB that wasn't -- the lines for the basketball court were a light grey (which is about the most horrendous color you could pick) and not very visible... Played stepped on the line at the baseline and I blew my whistle, then realized it wasn't the OOB line. Corrected and moved on. (This court was SO confusing that players would often run out of bounds while bringing the ball upcourt!!)
Ahh yes... sounds like you were working the old NBAA!
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Had one myself the other night. I was lead and watching off ball post play. Player B1 ended up alone in the key and for some reason I started a three second count on him in my head. Well, at 3 seconds I blew my whistle. But just before I signaled I realized that this was a defensive player. I called an inadvertent and gave the ball back to team A. Fortunately, the offense wasn’t making a move to the basket.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
When in doubt, it's usually a good idea to just follow the rules. The play is covered under rule 4-36.
JR............A1 with ball in frontcourt, B coach requests time out, official blows whistle and realizes error. With stoppage of play, can B's request now be granted? Can subs come in? We were discussing this and can't find rule reference.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
JR............A1 with ball in frontcourt, B coach requests time out, official blows whistle and realizes error. With stoppage of play, can B's request now be granted? Can subs come in? We were discussing this and can't find rule reference.
Yes, yes. Grant the timeout (a timeout can be granted during any dead ball so long as it isn't prohibited by rule). You screwed up, but now he gets the TO he wanted.

And then, of course, subs can come in.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Yes, yes. Grant the timeout (a timeout can be granted during any dead ball so long as it isn't prohibited by rule). You screwed up, but now he gets the TO he wanted.

And then, of course, subs can come in.
Is there a rule reference or case book play on this one?

Logically, I can't justify rewarding B coach with a timeout. That said, it was officials goof.

Couldn't a coach try and slip that in from time to time on defense, knowing you may get a break on an inadvertant whistle?

Last edited by fullor30; Mon Feb 11, 2008 at 01:28pm.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is their a rule reference or case book play on this one?

Logically, I can't justify rewarding B coach with a timeout. That said, it was officials goof.

Couldn't a coach try and slip that in from time to time on defense, knowing you may get a break on an inadvertant whistle?
I don't have my books with me, but I believe there is a specific case play. Bottom line is, the ball is dead once you blow the whistle. Even if you want to call it an inadvertent whistle because you shouldn't have granted the TO, now that the ball is dead, he can have his TO and there is no rule that says otherwise.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I don't have my books with me, but I believe there is a specific case play. Bottom line is, the ball is dead once you blow the whistle. Even if you want to call it an inadvertent whistle because you shouldn't have granted the TO, now that the ball is dead, he can have his TO and there is no rule that says otherwise.

Yes, for nfhs. YMMV under ncaa rules though so be careful
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Yes, for nfhs. YMMV under ncaa rules though so be careful
True, in the NCAA this is treated as an IW and the team is not allowed a TO.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
True, in the NCAA this is treated as an IW and the team is not allowed a TO.
Well, that's not exactly what I meant, i was kind of misleading you. What I was thinking of was earlier someone mentioned subs. You can't bring in subs under 59.9 of the second half on an IW or whistle to fix timing mistake (mens).
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Well, that's not exactly what I meant, i was kind of misleading you. What I was thinking of was earlier someone mentioned subs. You can't bring in subs under 59.9 of the second half on an IW or whistle to fix timing mistake (mens).
Even better...more info! It's hard to mislead a person who knows no better.

Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
Never accidently blown my whistle yet, however, on 3 or 4 occasions this year I have had my fist halfway up and pulled back. I working on fixing it.

Ive done this a few times... Its either cause I'm anticipating or because I'm slow in reacting.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 01:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
JR............A1 with ball in frontcourt, B coach requests time out, official blows whistle and realizes error. With stoppage of play, can B's request now be granted? Can subs come in?
Yes and yes.

Rule 5-8-3(b) says that you grant a TO when the ball is dead. It doesn't matter how the ball became dead. The only time that you can't grant a TO after the ball has become live to start the game is when the ball is dead is during the replacment of a disqualified/injured/ordered out of the game player. And you can still grant a TO after the sub comes in on that dead ball too.

After you grant the TO, rule 3-3-1(a) gives you the parameters for allowing substitution during that TO.....allowed prior to the warning signal.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
Had one myself the other night. I was lead and watching off ball post play. Player B1 ended up alone in the key and for some reason I started a three second count on him in my head. Well, at 3 seconds I blew my whistle. But just before I signaled I realized that this was a defensive player. I called an inadvertent and gave the ball back to team A. Fortunately, the offense wasn’t making a move to the basket.
This is the time when you walk to a spot on the floor and pick up that imaginary scrap piece of paper and put it in your pocket.