The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent Whistle Question

I had my first inadvertent whistle Tuesday. For some unknown reason my whistle blew as a FT was being rebounded. It was the strangest thing--I had no mental intention to blow it, it just sounded. Wierd. Anyway, the defense had clear posession so we awarded it OB to them, no problem.

But that raises a question I've had about inadvertent whistles. Is that type of situation the only time it's acceptable? For example, I'm sure most of us have jumped a call or anticipated something and then looked for a hole in the floor to crawl into. Anyone ever hose a foul or violation call and know it immediately, then use the inadvertent whistle to bail on it?

I've jumped calls down low where I was anticipating (the wrong way) and wanted to rewind the game 10-seconds for a do-over. But my guess is if I raise a hand or fist it's not a good thing to then call it inadvertent; better to take the heat and admit a mistake. Yes?

Just looking for some insight on when an inadvertent is permissible.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

You either admit the mistake and go with inadvertent whistle, or you enforce whatever you call in which case you're not admitting a mistake - you could later admit you may have kicked it.

If you whistle for an illegal dribble, for example, and then determine you shouldn't have, then just take the blame right then and go with IW. If it's a close judgement call with a quick whistle on a foul or a violation that isn't 100% clear to you - you're probably better to make the call, get the ball back in play, and get on with it. Later, if the coach questions you, explain what you saw and say, "Coach, you may be right and I may have blown that one." You can use that one very rarely and you're usually okay.

If you realize you've made a mistake and are certain you shouldn't have blown the whistle, it's always appropriate to go IW. Kick yourself in the shorts mentally and then get back to officiating the game. And don't let it happen again. Ever.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
If you realize you've made a mistake and are certain you shouldn't have blown the whistle, it's always appropriate to go IW. Kick yourself in the shorts mentally and then get back to officiating the game.
Even if the mistake is jumping a foul?

If I jump a foul inside and know immediately it was a good block and use IW, isn't that gonna get me more grief from a coach than if I later have to admit I may have hosed the call?

And do I want to ask what do you do if I IW on a shot and the shot goes in?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

A foul call is a judgement call and should be handled as I said above w/ judgement calls. We've all blown a quick whistle we want back, but in a situation like you've just said usually you should go ahead and report the foul. It'd have to be a crazy-obvious clean block to not go ahead and report, IMO. You can then deal with the coach if he questions the call in the way described.

If you have an IW during a try and the try is successful, then POI is the made basket and you give the other team the ball on the endline.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Never accidently blown my whistle yet, however, on 3 or 4 occasions this year I have had my fist halfway up and pulled back. I working on fixing it.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
And do I want to ask what do you do if I IW on a shot and the shot goes in?
If the ball is still in A's hands when the whistle blows, cancel the basket and give the ball back to A (at the spot nearest the ball when the whisle blew).

If the ball has left A's hands and the basket is good, count it and give the ball to B for a throw in anywhere along the endline.

If the ball has left A's hands and the try is not successful, go to the arrow (at the spot nearest the location from where the try was attempted).
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
If you have an IW during a try and the try is successful, then POI is the made basket and you give the other team the ball on the endline.
Let's say I commit the cardinal sin of anticipating contact. I blow my whistle and signal for a foul but I know for a fact it was a clean block. If I have the guts to claim IW, who gets the ball?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Let's say I commit the cardinal sin of anticipating contact. I blow my whistle and signal for a foul but I know for a fact it was a clean block. If I have the guts to claim IW, who gets the ball?
When in doubt, it's usually a good idea to just follow the rules. The play is covered under rule 4-36.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
Never accidently blown my whistle yet, however, on 3 or 4 occasions this year I have had my fist halfway up and pulled back. I working on fixing it.

I've done this a few times, and one time had a coach ask "What were you raising your arm for back there"? I just smiled and gave him the "give me a break" look. (It was a good natured jab).
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 04:28pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

I've done this twice and thankfully it was years ago. Both times were due to working in gyms that had lines on the court for every conceivable game that might be played on the hardwood -- basketball, volleyball, soccer, jai alai, whatever!

One was a backcourt violation, which I then quickly realized it was not the backcourt line, but one about 2-3 feet from that. I corrected my mistake, gave the ball back to the team in possession, and moved on.

Second was an OOB that wasn't -- the lines for the basketball court were a light grey (which is about the most horrendous color you could pick) and not very visible... Played stepped on the line at the baseline and I blew my whistle, then realized it wasn't the OOB line. Corrected and moved on. (This court was SO confusing that players would often run out of bounds while bringing the ball upcourt!!)
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
If the ball is still in A's hands when the whistle blows, cancel the basket and give the ball back to A (at the spot nearest the ball when the whisle blew).

If the ball has left A's hands and the basket is good, count it and give the ball to B for a throw in anywhere along the endline.

If the ball has left A's hands and the try is not successful, go to the arrow (at the spot nearest the location from where the try was attempted).
Thanks, Bob.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 04:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Unhappy unfortunately

Quote:
...and then looked for a hole in the floor to crawl into. Anyone ever hose a foul or violation call and know it immediately, then use the inadvertent whistle to bail on it?..
Yes, I just posted THIS on the same subject.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I've done this twice and thankfully it was years ago. Both times were due to working in gyms that had lines on the court for every conceivable game that might be played on the hardwood -- basketball, volleyball, soccer, jai alai, whatever!

One was a backcourt violation, which I then quickly realized it was not the backcourt line, but one about 2-3 feet from that. I corrected my mistake, gave the ball back to the team in possession, and moved on.

Second was an OOB that wasn't -- the lines for the basketball court were a light grey (which is about the most horrendous color you could pick) and not very visible... Played stepped on the line at the baseline and I blew my whistle, then realized it wasn't the OOB line. Corrected and moved on. (This court was SO confusing that players would often run out of bounds while bringing the ball upcourt!!)
Both of these hve happened to me as well.

Just get the ball back in & life goes on.

btw...I really like this from the OP

Quote:
For some unknown reason my whistle blew...
Maybe I'll use that next time a coach questions my whistle... "Geeze coach, I dunno what happened! Damn thing has a mind of it's own!!"

Last edited by Dan_ref; Thu Feb 07, 2008 at 05:34pm.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

hey it happened to me the other night. kid was dribbling then did an obvious palming/cross over and I blow my whistle. Sure enough the kid picks up his dribble and didn't bounce the ball again. You had to see it I Guess.

Anyway, I knew right there I made a mistake and the crowd went nuts. I looked at my partner then approached both coaches, told them I anticipated the palming call and it didn't happen.

Therefore IW and play resumed. I about stuck to my guns and attempted to sell the call, but there was nothing for sale...lol...

I had to correct my mistake. The whole gym saw the same thing I did.

I felt about 2 inches tall and wished there was a hole to crawl in....
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 08:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Twice, Yes, Believe It Or Not, Twice...

Twice, in twenty-seven years, I've called a foul on A1 for fouling A2. In both cases there was rebounding action.