The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Shoe Recommendations

Been officiating for a couple of years now, and when I started I bought a pair of Reebok shoes. Nothing special, moderately priced. A few weeks ago I did a weekend tournament and noticed my lower back getting sore, so I bought some inserts to give me a bit more heel cushion. That took care of the sore back, but the inserts seem to have taken some balance off my arch, so now my feet get a little tired and sore after just a few games.

All that to ask the veterans here which shoes you've found to be the most comfortable for you? (Keep in mind that I'm not Bill Gates, so budget is important.) FWIW, I'm a normal sized zebra; 5'-10" and 180lbs.

Your shoe insights will be appreciated!
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

New Balance 610's
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamp
New Balance 610's
I concur. First year wearing them and very light and comfortable. I would add that they come kind of snug or thin.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 09:39am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

+1 to New Balance.

While I don't have 610's, I do use 409's, which are great. I have another pair as well. I forget the model number, but they're good as well.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I wear the Spot Bilt patent leathers.

They are an awesome shoe, much better than the New Balance which I have worn previously. I wear the same model cleat in football and have loved that as well.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
I wear the Spot Bilt patent leathers.

They are an awesome shoe, much better than the New Balance which I have worn previously. I wear the same model cleat in football and have loved that as well.
I prefer the spot bilts as they are extremely light, yet they seem to break down faster and as a result, I'm nursing shin splints right now. Have gone back to my New Balance's for the rest of the season.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamp
New Balance 610's
You used your first ever post for that!!

I agree though - balance 610s are best shoes I've had in a while.

Welcome to the Forum Hamp
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
Been officiating for a couple of years now, and when I started I bought a pair of Reebok shoes. Nothing special, moderately priced. A few weeks ago I did a weekend tournament and noticed my lower back getting sore,
The insoles will wear out first. Replace them after 30-50 games.

Replace the shoes after 80-100 games.

If you can have two pairs and rotate them every game, that will give the shoes time to "recover" and they will last longer and feel better.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 11:45am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
If you can have two pairs and rotate them every game, that will give the shoes time to "recover" and they will last longer and feel better.
Amen to that! I gotta let mine "air out" after a long day on the court......and switch shoes if I have back to back days.

PS - I use New Balance too (can't recall model).
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

You probably want to steer clear of the New Balance 888's. I've been a NB guy for years, and really liked them. But I don't like these. They're too big, too flat, not cushiony enough. I'll try a different model next year.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 12:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would suggest that if you spend money on good shoes rather than looking for the least expensive option. The issue is quality, not what cost less. If you do not have good shoes, then that might lead to other problems that will cost you more money (pain medicine, surgery, missed games).

I also think that what one person likes may not apply to you. I love the New Balance 888 shoes and they feel just fine to me. I mostly wear the running shoe Adidas A3 Microride Leather which they do not make anymore. These are the lightest shoe I have ever had and give plenty of support. I also do not wear them for all my games and rotate with other shoes for the similar reasons Bob suggested. The bottom line what works for me might not work for you. This might be a trial and error situation before you find the right shoe that works.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

If I were you, regardless of what shoe you end up with, I'd go to a running shoe store and have them tell me what type of foot and pronation factor you have. Generally speaking, there are low arch and high arches, and either could over pronate (roll inward when running), remain neutral (pretty much straight) or supinate (me -- roll outward slightly). In running shoes, the overpronator needs stability shoes -- which most cross trainers do a decent job of. The neutral and supinators -- the vast minority -- need cushioning shoes when running, which most cross trainers don't do a good job of. I would say if you are neutral or supinate, you might want to look for cushioned running shoes, which is what I wear. I've worn a pair of NB the last 2 years, the 890, I think. I just ordered a pair of Saucony running shoes but haven't worn them.

Brooks makes a hell of a running shoe, what I wear when just out running. They have a black shoe that looks nice and its made for the moderate over-pronator, which describes most people. I think its the Adreneline model. Go to Zappos and check on Brooks running and search for black. You'll find it there. Its not right for me, but I'd like to see more guys wear black running shoes so the shoe makers will make more models in black.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
You used your first ever post for that!!

I agree though - balance 610s are best shoes I've had in a while.

Welcome to the Forum Hamp
Wanted to break myself in easy. And thank you very much for the welcome.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
I've got the Nike 360s and I'm using em till the soles fall off. I've seen alot of D1 officials with these. They're awesome!

http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/produ...92002/node--0/
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
Been officiating for a couple of years now, and when I started I bought a pair of Reebok shoes. Nothing special, moderately priced. A few weeks ago I did a weekend tournament and noticed my lower back getting sore, so I bought some inserts to give me a bit more heel cushion. That took care of the sore back, but the inserts seem to have taken some balance off my arch, so now my feet get a little tired and sore after just a few games.

All that to ask the veterans here which shoes you've found to be the most comfortable for you? (Keep in mind that I'm not Bill Gates, so budget is important.) FWIW, I'm a normal sized zebra; 5'-10" and 180lbs.

Your shoe insights will be appreciated!
My first year, I had no clue and bought some cheap shoe that I discarded after my second game. I'm with JR, spend the extra bucks and get the right shoe for you. While you're at it, look sharp in your uni, pants pressed,not too short or long, slight break, shirt tucked in, sized right, jacket with no wrinkles, compression shorts, a wicking type black shirt. Hair neat, clean shaven.

Good shoes with inserts are heaven to me.

If I can't ref a lick, I at least want to look like one