The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches say the darndest thing

LOL, I got a gem from a coach tonight.

He's one of those that chirps a little too much, but isn't too demonstrative...just kind of whiny.

His player, A1 receives the pass on the run and goes right through the defender as he's going up. I'm lead and it's right in front of me and it was a clear charge. So as we are headed the other way he yells:

"C'mon, how can he charge if he didn't dribble the ball!!!!?!?" I didn't know what to say
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 12:44am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80
"C'mon, how can he charge if he didn't dribble the ball!!!!?!?" I didn't know what to say
"He used his credit card, Coach"
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I had a coach yell at me one time, "That wasn't a double dribble!! How could that be a double dribble?" It seemed so obvious to me that I was a little non-plussed, so I asked, "What was it?" "It was a carry! How can you not see that?" He was serious, I might add. I almost laughed, but didn't and replied, "You're right, coach, I kicked that one," and he was satisfied.

Go figure.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I had a coach yell at me one time, "That wasn't a double dribble!! How could that be a double dribble?" It seemed so obvious to me that I was a little non-plussed, so I asked, "What was it?" "It was a carry! How can you not see that?" He was serious, I might add. I almost laughed, but didn't and replied, "You're right, coach, I kicked that one," and he was satisfied.

Go figure.
I did an underclass game the other night as a favor and probably had a smarty pants attitude since it was a freshman game. Coach kept asking "how did he travel" I finally said with his feet. At the half, I went up to him to apologize, and he actually was the first to say he shouldn't of questioned it that way. It was a love fest.

Note to self.......... don't be a wise guy.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

along those lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I did an underclass game the other night as a favor and probably had a smarty pants attitude since it was a freshman game. Coach kept asking "how did he travel" I finally said with his feet. At the half, I went up to him to apologize, and he actually was the first to say he shouldn't of questioned it that way. It was a love fest.

had the worst game in years saturday, which oddly enough was the day after the best game I have had the pleasure to work in years...anyway..in the worst game..visitor coach doesn't like me, home coach doesn't like one of my partners...neither coach likes the third guy...just one of those days...I have a travel on the team whose coach isn't fond of me...it is the second in about 3 trips down the floor...the coach stands up with the classic what was that arm position...so I show her how her girl did a little dance...the home team student section liked it...the coach didn't...and she was probably right I shouldn't have done it that way...my point was this though...either she is showing me up with the wtf look, in which case we are even now...or she is asking for an explanation, which from where I was that was the only way I could explain/show her what happened....but still I agree don't be a wise guy...and I am so glad that game got over with...LOL
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

There's more to punctuation than the ellipsis.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

My partner had a call of kicking the ball by the offense. The offensive player could see that the ball was going to be stolen by the defense on a pass so he kicked the ball away. Coach jumps up and yells, " The offense can't kick the ball!" true.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
WHAT!!??!! Ya' gotta have some fun out there!
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
There's more to punctuation than the ellipsis.
LOL!!
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
My partner had a call of kicking the ball by the offense. The offensive player could see that the ball was going to be stolen by the defense on a pass so he kicked the ball away. Coach jumps up and yells, " The offense can't kick the ball!" true.
I've called the kick on the offense before. The player INTENTIONALLY kicked it so the defense couldn't pick it up. Same situation.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

I meant that it was true that the coach said this. Not that the offense can't kick the ball, sorry for any misunderstanding.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was a wise guy once (OK, maybe more than once): Coach has been whining the entire game. His guard gets picked clean and the opponent is going in for a layup. I run my butt off so I can get a good position for the play at the basket. His guard fouls the shooter from behind by jumping into the shooter with his body. There was no hack or reach so the coach thought there was not a foul, but the action clearly knocked the shooter off balance. When I went to report the foul, the coach asked, "Where was the foul?" I said, "Under the basket." I just had enough of the guy that I couldn't resist. Plus, *I* was the one who hustled to get in the proper position to see the play and the coach was 60 feet away with the worst angle of all. All he could have seen was the back of his player.

Coaches need to save their complaint for a better situation, like a play right in front of their bench where they actually see what happens. They lose all credibility when they complain constantly. When I was in HS, our head coach never said a word to the officials. But, several times a year, the call was so bad that he would stand up, cross his arms and stare at the official. Since he was 6'6" and the fact that he never complained, his standing up was like arrows being shot at the officials. Everyone in the gym knew there had been a bad call. He had great credibility because he never complained.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
WHAT!!??!! Ya' gotta have some fun out there!

The only fun I have unfortunately, I'm alone at the time.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref

Coaches need to save their complaint for a better situation, like a play right in front of their bench where they actually see what happens. They lose all credibility when they complain constantly.
I wish more coaches understood this. When they are constantly complaining, they get tuned out.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 04:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80
When they are constantly complaining, they get tuned out.
Personally, I don't tune them out. I put a stop to their complaining. I never put up with "constant".