View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I did an underclass game the other night as a favor and probably had a smarty pants attitude since it was a freshman game. Coach kept asking "how did he travel" I finally said with his feet. At the half, I went up to him to apologize, and he actually was the first to say he shouldn't of questioned it that way. It was a love fest.

Note to self.......... don't be a wise guy.
I was a wise guy once (OK, maybe more than once): Coach has been whining the entire game. His guard gets picked clean and the opponent is going in for a layup. I run my butt off so I can get a good position for the play at the basket. His guard fouls the shooter from behind by jumping into the shooter with his body. There was no hack or reach so the coach thought there was not a foul, but the action clearly knocked the shooter off balance. When I went to report the foul, the coach asked, "Where was the foul?" I said, "Under the basket." I just had enough of the guy that I couldn't resist. Plus, *I* was the one who hustled to get in the proper position to see the play and the coach was 60 feet away with the worst angle of all. All he could have seen was the back of his player.

Coaches need to save their complaint for a better situation, like a play right in front of their bench where they actually see what happens. They lose all credibility when they complain constantly. When I was in HS, our head coach never said a word to the officials. But, several times a year, the call was so bad that he would stand up, cross his arms and stare at the official. Since he was 6'6" and the fact that he never complained, his standing up was like arrows being shot at the officials. Everyone in the gym knew there had been a bad call. He had great credibility because he never complained.