The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Schmack42
What NFHS rule talks about re-establishing in-bounds?

I had a play last night where my partner called a violation on a player who saved a ball and went out of bounds, the ball went to his teammate, the player came back in bounds and received a pass from the player that he saved it to. My partner called a violation because he was the first touch after he came back in bounds.

I know this is not the right call , but where does it talk about re-establishing inbounds on the court.

So if you save the ball and is not touched by anyone and you re-establish yourself back inbounds can you legally touch the ball?

Thanks,

Dave
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmack42
I had a play last night where my partner called a violation on a player who saved a ball and went out of bounds, the ball went to his teammate, the player came back in bounds and received a pass from the player that he saved it to. My partner called a violation because he was the first touch after he came back in bounds.

I know this is not the right call , but where does it talk about re-establishing inbounds on the court.

So if you save the ball and is not touched by anyone and you re-establish yourself back inbounds can you legally touch the ball?

Thanks,

Dave
Your partner misapplied the rule. Rule 4-35 covers this. Look at casebook play 4.35.2. This covers your situation.

Last edited by truerookie; Tue Feb 05, 2008 at 09:46am.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:56pm
We don't rent pigs

Being "re-established" and first to touch are non-issues. You are inbounds if you are inbounds and it now doesn't matter if you were previously out of bounds or not.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

There's a football rule like that -- you can ask over on the football section if you're interested.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I know this is not in the OP, but I had a game this past weekend (NCAA-W). Girl saves the ball in the air but is going out of bounds and while still airborne calls a time-out. Of course, I don't allow the TO, I call an OOB violation and point to the direction the ball was going, which is the same direction as the bench of the player that called a timeout. I'm walking by the coach and she says 30 second, I told her no it's an OOB violation and I couldn't grant her player that time out request. The wierdest thing about this play is that the girl that called timeout in the air, actually got one foot down inbounds (ala football receiver), then hopped out of bounds. I think me and the opposing coach was the only that saw that because she was calling for a travel violation. I was trail and I asked my L partner if he saw that and he said no she came down oob, good call. I was pretty much on top of the play and I'm pretty close to 100% sure I saw her come down in bounds, but I already called the violation when she landed.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
The wierdest thing about this play is that the girl that called timeout in the air, actually got one foot down inbounds (ala football receiver), then hopped out of bounds. I think me and the opposing coach was the only that saw that because she was calling for a travel violation. I was trail and I asked my L partner if he saw that and he said no she came down oob, good call. I was pretty much on top of the play and I'm pretty close to 100% sure I saw her come down in bounds, but I already called the violation when she landed.
So what are you saying that you know you shouldn't have called a OOB violation and could've granted the T/O, but couldn't because of the OOB call?
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
There's a football rule like that -- you can ask over on the football section if you're interested.
No there's not, not in HS or college football.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Feb 05, 2008 at 11:32pm.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmack42

7.1.1 SITUATION B: A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the floor inbounds, but A1, who is off balance, steps off the court. A1 returns inbounds, secures control of the ball and dribbles.

RULING: Legal. A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did. This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and momentum carries A1 off the court. If the try is unsuccessful, A1 may come back onto the court and regain control since A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did.

7.1.1 SITUATION C: A1 blocks a pass near the sideline and the ball goes into A1's front court. A1's momentum carries him/her out of bounds. He/she immediately returns inbounds, secures control of the ball, dribbles, shoots, and scores.

RULING: Legal. (4-35-1a; 7-1-2; 9-3)

7.1.1 SITUATION D: A1 jumps from inbounds to retrieve an errant pass near a boundary line. A1 catches the ball while in the air and tosses it back to the court. A1 lands out of bounds and (a) is the first to touch the ball after returning inbounds; (b) returns inbounds and immediately dribbles the ball; or (c) picks up the ball after returning to the court and then begins a dribble.

RULING: Legal in (a) and (b). Illegal in (c) as the controlled toss of the ball to the court by A1 constitutes the start of a dribble, dribbling a second time after picking up the ball is an illegal dribble violation. (4-15-5; 4-15-6d; 4-35; 9-5)

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
No there's not, not in HS or college football.
Did I mention HS or college? I just referred the poster to the football forum to ask about it.

You're wrong to contradict me unless I'm wrong. But thanks for playing.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 08:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I'm interested. In what league is there a football rule like that?

Inquiring minds need to know......
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I know this is not in the OP, but I had a game this past weekend (NCAA-W). Girl saves the ball in the air but is going out of bounds and while still airborne calls a time-out. Of course, I don't allow the TO, I call an OOB violation and point to the direction the ball was going, which is the same direction as the bench of the player that called a timeout. I'm walking by the coach and she says 30 second, I told her no it's an OOB violation and I couldn't grant her player that time out request. The wierdest thing about this play is that the girl that called timeout in the air, actually got one foot down inbounds (ala football receiver), then hopped out of bounds. I think me and the opposing coach was the only that saw that because she was calling for a travel violation. I was trail and I asked my L partner if he saw that and he said no she came down oob, good call. I was pretty much on top of the play and I'm pretty close to 100% sure I saw her come down in bounds, but I already called the violation when she landed.
I thought it was legal to grant the TO as the player is saving the ball from oob? But then if she did come down inbounds, why not grant the TO? I don't understand your thinking here?
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I thought it was legal to grant the TO as the player is saving the ball from oob? But then if she did come down inbounds, why not grant the TO? I don't understand your thinking here?
It's not legal in college. I didn't grant the timeout because she was going out bounds but the last second stretched her landing foot inbounds then hopped oob, but I already called the oob violation when she landed. I was moreless concentrating on her calling timeout, knowing she can't be granted the timeout while saving the ball from going oob. It was a weird play and probably the only one who saw her land inbounds for that split second was me and the opposing coach because it was right in front her bench. The player didn't even know where she landed, I just kicked it.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 09:43am
We don't rent pigs

if the crowd goes ooooooo, some will blow the whistle

Last night, BV A1 is pushing the ball up, guarded by B1 frontcourt tableside. I was trail, close behind the play. A1 trying to turn the corner, but B1 beats him to the spot, and sets up, hands straight up, apparently hoping to draw the charge, probably 2 feet from the sideline. A1 tries to avoid him, but there is a bump and he staggers backward, sideways, out of bounds, as the ball goes on without him. B1 freezes, looking at me with the deer in the headlights look. A1 alertly jumps back inbounds and grabs the ball, which is now behind B1. I have nothing. Partner is lead, outside the endline on the far side of the lane, probably
at least 40 feet away. He whistles a violation from there. "No, he can't come back in like that."

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I'm interested. In what league is there a football rule like that?

Inquiring minds need to know......
As I keep intoning, you can ask over on the football board.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's not legal in college. I didn't grant the timeout because she was going out bounds but the last second stretched her landing foot inbounds then hopped oob, but I already called the oob violation when she landed. I was moreless concentrating on her calling timeout, knowing she can't be granted the timeout while saving the ball from going oob. It was a weird play and probably the only one who saw her land inbounds for that split second was me and the opposing coach because it was right in front her bench. The player didn't even know where she landed, I just kicked it.
Joe - remember, in NCAA-W, you cannot grant the TO if the player is in the air going OOB. If they still have one foot on the floor in-bounds, you can still grant the TO even though they are falling OOB.

(Used with permission.)