The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 08:44pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

NFHS Rules - Out of Bounds Violation

Saw this last night in a 6GB CYO Game.

A1 has the ball close to sideline and A2 passes by him and in doing so, goes out of bounds for about 3 feet before coming back in. upon re-entering inbounds, the official calsl A2 for coming inbounds after being out of bounds.

Is this how the new rule for unauthorized out of bounds violations should be applied?

(The weird part is, A2 has no reason to go out of bounds, just kind of did it as if he didn't know where he was on the floor ).

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 08:59pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man

A1 has the ball close to sideline and A2 passes by him and in doing so, goes out of bounds for about 3 feet before coming back in. upon re-entering inbounds, the official calsl A2 for coming inbounds after being out of bounds.

Is this how the new rule for unauthorized out of bounds violations should be applied?

(The weird part is, A2 has no reason to go out of bounds, just kind of did it as if he didn't know where he was on the floor ).
Almost. The violation occurs, and should draw a whistle, as soon as the offending player leaves the court.
Learned this one the hard way!!!
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach
Almost. The violation occurs, and should draw a whistle, as soon as the offending player leaves the court.
Still, I don't know if I'd call this on a confused 6th grader.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Still, I don't know if I'd call this on a confused 6th grader.
Me either. If I see him do it a couple of times, I might mention it to the coach. It's like traveling in 6th grade; unless there's a real advantage gained, I'm less inclined to call it (depending on the skill level, of course).
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 12:29am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Me either. If I see him do it a couple of times, I might mention it to the coach. It's like traveling in 6th grade; unless there's a real advantage gained, I'm less inclined to call it (depending on the skill level, of course).
Thanks. I opted not to buy new NFHS rulebooks this year, so I wasn't sure if this rule was worded in a way that leaving the court was an automatic violation, or if there had to be (in the official's judgment) some sort of advantage/disadvantage to it. [Note to self: Buy updated NFHS materials for 07-08 ]

I also seem to recall in NCAA rules, they had a case where a player goes out of bounds to avoid contact and it was considered a no call unless there an official judged it to be deceiving or an advantage gained by the player going OOB.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 01:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Where do you coach? I work with a guy whose niece plays for West Springfield. (I'm down in Hampton Roads).

BTW, yes, it is an immediate violation in FED rules.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 01:37am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man

Whether the game is played under NFHS or NCAA Men's/Women's rules, A2 did not commit a violation unless, A2 went out-of-bounds to gain an advantage that the rules do not permit, such as avoiding a screen by a defender or attempting to confuse the defense by being out-of-bounds.

Officials have gotten so bent out-of-shape about this rule over nothing. If A2 had run out-of-bounds to avoid running an official over, has he committed a violation? No he has not. The key to this rule is: Did the player gain an illegal advantage? If he did not, then there is no violation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 02:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Where do you coach? I work with a guy whose niece plays for West Springfield. (I'm down in Hampton Roads).

BTW, yes, it is an immediate violation in FED rules.
BNR: Took a big pay cut and retired from coaching AAU last summer to start officiating

Grew up with Bill Gibson the GV coach at West Spfld. My oldest son plays for Edison and is also one heck of an official. Have you ever heard of a 15 yo CERTIFIED VHSL official? Also have a 13yo 'patched' VHSL registered!! Got a 3rd (12 yo) getting feet wet w/ spring house league this year.
Starting a ref dynasty up here in DC area. Hope your season is going well

Later
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 02:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
BNR: Took a big pay cut and retired from coaching AAU last summer to start officiating

Grew up with Bill Gibson the GV coach at West Spfld. My oldest son plays for Edison and is also one heck of an official. Have you ever heard of a 15 yo CERTIFIED VHSL official? Also have a 13yo 'patched' VHSL registered!! Got a 3rd (12 yo) getting feet wet w/ spring house league this year.
Starting a ref dynasty up here in DC area. Hope your season is going well

Later
How did you get them to comprehend officiating at that young an age?
I have a 14 year-old whom I would like to get involved in officiating but not sure how to go about that.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 08:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
How did you get them to comprehend officiating at that young an age?
I have a 14 year-old whom I would like to get involved in officiating but not sure how to go about that.
BNR

Check your PM
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I am 16 in a few weeks. I finished my basic training the 20september 2004. So I've been calling games since I was, 14.
And I'm not the first one to be that young calling games, how ever I am one of the youngest to take what we call districts referee training (starting this next week). This certifies officials to call games up to the second division men and women. I never call games where the players are older then 18 though. I'm starting to get higher games though so we'll see what happens.
I'm not sure I have never seen or heard of an official who is 12 years old though...