The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 08:19pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Partner cancels FT

I'm trail on 1st of 2 FTs. Non-shooting team positions B12 near endline by their basket. A3 goes back to keep him company. These two had been going at it pretty good during the game and I wanted to keep an eye on them so I backed up to the division line and opened up my stance so I could watch FT and the 2 players in the backcourt. After the first shot, B 12 moves to the opposite corner on my side, and, as the ball is being administered to the shooter, I move across court to tableside so I can cover my area and still keep an eye on the distant players. I know this is not an accepted mechanic but I did not want them to be out of my sight. My partner, after a successful 2nd FT, cancels the shot and insists on re-shooting. I told him to play on and inbound the ball to B but he insisted on reshooting. In the interest of expediency I let him reshoot the last FT.

After the game I reminded him it is not proper to take points off the board unless there is a 2-10 situation. He thought I was going to check something at the table. I told him I know how to use a whistle and, in the absence of a whistle from me he should carry on and ignore my movements

Any comments???
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds as if your deviation from the normal mechanics confused your partner. That right there isn't a good thing.
It is true that you need to observe the two opposing players in the backcourt. That is probably more important than any FT violations. This is another aspect in which the two person system is clearly inferior to three. I would recommend that you release the FT restrictions to your partner and take those two players, but stay on the side of the court where you belong.

Lastly, you should have asked your partner what made the ball dead during the FT. If he can't come up with anything, then you need to insist that it counts.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

I'd add that some good non-verbal communication between the two of you would let him know why you were leaving the "normal" spot.