The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

inbounds question- bounce

After a made basket. I had a player attempt a pass then pull back and sorta do this semi-release and the ball slipped out and bounced in front of her. She picked it up and then threw a pass. I didn't call anything because I was thinking its legal to dribble but it was in between a pass and a dribble. Also it was a 6th grade girls game so no big deal but I want to get it right.
quick questions- same situation. if these is a bounce pass that hits behind the line first and then the player inbounds is that legal?
and from the first if she had dropped it and thought she couldn't pick it up but forward momentum carries the ball on the court. So drop, bounce out and then in can a player pick it up?
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 06:23am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
My understanding:

1) You can dribble AND pass the ball to another player out of bounds under certain circumstances. A "fumble" as you describe would also be ok as long as the ball is recovered and then legally enters (is passed onto) the court w/in 5 seconds.

2) A ball passed onto the court must go directly onto the court. It can not be a "bounce pass" or fumble where the ball bounces out of bounds and then onto the court.

From 06-07 rules
Rule 7: Out of Bounds and the Throw-in
Section 6: Throw-in Administration
Article 1

Art. 1... The throw-in starts when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to the throw-in. The thrower shall release the ball on a pass directly into the court, except as in 7-5-7, within five seconds after the throw-in starts. The throw-in pass shall touch another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched.....

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Feb 06, 2008 at 06:32am.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
So, let me get this straight: If the thrower in-bounding the ball fumbles and the ball falls and touches floor the in-bounds, the thrower is allowed to quickly reach over line (feet staying out of bounds) and recover the ball to continue with a pass in-bounds.

Because, it was a fumble.

1) What if the thrower had stepped in-bounds to retrieve the fumble, but then steps back to intial out-of-bounds spot to make the pass?

or;

2) What if, after the thrower fumbles and the ball falls to the floor in-bounds, a defender standing there picks up the ball and dribbles away...?
And the thrower screams, "But, I fumbled it, I didn't pass it!"

Thanks,
Paul
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 09:23pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSidbury
So, let me get this straight: If the thrower in-bounding the ball fumbles and the ball falls and touches floor the in-bounds, the thrower is allowed to quickly reach over line (feet staying out of bounds) and recover the ball to continue with a pass in-bounds.

Because, it was a fumble.

1) What if the thrower had stepped in-bounds to retrieve the fumble, but then steps back to intial out-of-bounds spot to make the pass?

or;

2) What if, after the thrower fumbles and the ball falls to the floor in-bounds, a defender standing there picks up the ball and dribbles away...?
And the thrower screams, "But, I fumbled it, I didn't pass it!"

Thanks,
Paul
I'm probably not explaining this well, but, don't overcomplicate this by confusing the ball legally entering the court vs the ball being fumbled by a thrower and remaining out of bounds.

If A1 is out of bounds and fumbles it out of bounds, he can recover it and legally pass it in. If its a spot foul, and the ref may have mishanded the ball, I believe the ref can blow it dead and re-hand or re-bounce A1 the ball. If A1 mishandles the ball out of bounds after a basket while running the endline, he can pick it up and pass it in w/in 5 seconds.

In 1, If A1 is out of bounds and fumbles the ball onto the court and steps on the court to recover it as you suggest, and then steps out of bounds. Tweet. Violation.

In 2, again, if A fumbles onto the court and B1 recovers it and dribbles away....oh well, lesson learned for A1. No violation. IMO.

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Feb 06, 2008 at 09:25pm.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 10:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
In 1, If A1 is out of bounds and fumbles the ball onto the court and steps on the court to recover it as you suggest, and then steps out of bounds. Tweet. Violation.
Just to add a little bit. This is a violation even before A1 steps back out of bounds. It's a violation as soon as A1 is the first to touch the ball in bounds.
Quote:
In 2, again, if A fumbles onto the court and B1 recovers it and dribbles away....oh well, lesson learned for A1. No violation. IMO.
This could be a violation as well. If A1 fumbles the ball so that it bounces first out of bounds and then bounces in bounds, it's a violation as soon as it bounces in bounds.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Same sitch, A2 or A3 can also recover the ball inbounds, as long as it didn't bounce ooob before it touched the court ib.