The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Helping your Partner/managing the game better

Hi All,

A quick question: I reffed a varsity girls game last week with a partner who was new to our group. However, he was not a new official as he told me he had reffed varsity games back in his home state.

The game itself was ultimately a 20 point game but both teams played hard throughout. However, the fans (and ultimately, the coach) of the visiting team were not happy with the early foul calls. At one point, the visiting team has been called for 9 fouls to 1 foul in the first quarter.

The fouls non-withstanding, I realized after the game that the visiting coach was riding my partner (who was the "R") a lot. My partner even gave a "T" to the visiting coach as well. The coach was not the easiest to deal with as he was very sarcastic but I addressed him when he questioned me about some calls. Otherwise, I just ignored him.

My partner also seemed rattled at times during the game, though he was fine during time outs when I talked to him.

I know we've all had these kind of situations. However, I am wondering if there was something I could have done to both help my partner and also manage the game better. I admit that game management and situational awareness are some of my weaknesses. I know I need to address them but sometimes, old habits get in the way.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Were you both calling the same fouls? In your opinion, did the V's foul 9 times and the H's only once?