The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Whistle or No Whistle?

Question : As time runs out at the end of each period (qtrs/halves/game), and as the horn sounds, should we ALWAYS include a whistle as the designated "last shot" official? I thought that if play was "de-compressing" on it's own as time runs out, with no shot attempt in progress or any other close-contact situations pending, a whistle was not necessary.

Whistle or No Whistle?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

We're taught NO whistle in our association unless you're waving off a shot or something like that. If it's just someone dribbling out the clock or something else plain like that, don't hit your whistle. If you're waving off a shot, there's a scramble for the ball or something like that, then I'd hit it. Other than that, the horn signals the end of the period. I'd say the only exception to this is if you're in a very loud gym and it's hard to hear the horn. Happened to me a few weeks back. At the end of the first period we could barley hear the horn b/c it was so loud in the gym so my partner and I both hit our whistles when the horn went off the rest of the game.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think this really depends on where you live and who you work for. I personally always blow the whistle and most officials I work with do the same. I do not think there is a right or wrong way or a way that is always going to be accepted by everyone. I have heard both sides of this and I have not heard anything that changes my mind on what I do. The main thing to do is listen to who you work for and do that. And no it does not matter what any book says because the book is not who hires you.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks.
That's what I thougt.
I worked the other night in a boys varisty game, after taking a few years off, and asked my crewmates if they had anything and one of 'em said to blast the whistle with every horn indicating the end of a period. There was no action at the end of the 3rd qtr, so I just let the horn sound with no whistle.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
That depends in my case, in some gyms the horn is so loud you don't need the whistle. But if you're in a small gym I usually use the whistle. But there are no real mechanic for it- not that I know of anyway....
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 11:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockitoff
Question : As time runs out at the end of each period (qtrs/halves/game), and as the horn sounds, should we ALWAYS include a whistle as the designated "last shot" official? I thought that if play was "de-compressing" on it's own as time runs out, with no shot attempt in progress or any other close-contact situations pending, a whistle was not necessary.

Whistle or No Whistle?
The covering official blows his/her whistle in my games with either a hand up (no shot wave-off) or a wave off. If the last legal shot goes in after the horn, we'll count it without a whistle.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 11:45am
Esteemed Participant

Way out here in the wild, wild west, we try to have a whistle at the end of each period because kids are taught to "Play till the whistle" - especially in the girls games since they have a 30 second shot clock and we always have horns that go off for that when they don't reset fast enough. Having said that, I don't think you will find anything in the rules books that addresses the issue at the HS level. So, when in Rome...