The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Approximately 4.0 seconds left in the last quarter, A1 brings the ball down court, as he passes half court, he travels-and my partner blows the whistle for the traveling violation---giving the ball to B1's team. At the same time he blew his whistle, my hand was up to blow the whistle to give the coach his time-out--but my partner beat me to the whistle. No doubt the coach was furious for me not granting him a time-out--but my partner signaled first. After the game the coach approached me with all kinds of insults---"You know you heard me call a time-out, You can't see, You guys need to learn how to call," etc. Well, anyways, I told him that I had no comments and explained to him that my partner beat me to the whistle. How should have I handled this situation?
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 09:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb The play is already dead.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristy Roberson
Approximately 4.0 seconds left in the last quarter, A1 brings the ball down court, as he passes half court, he travels-and my partner blows the whistle for the traveling violation---giving the ball to B1's team. At the same time he blew his whistle, my hand was up to blow the whistle to give the coach his time-out--but my partner beat me to the whistle. No doubt the coach was furious for me not granting him a time-out--but my partner signaled first. After the game the coach approached me with all kinds of insults---"You know you heard me call a time-out, You can't see, You guys need to learn how to call," etc. Well, anyways, I told him that I had no comments and explained to him that my partner beat me to the whistle. How should have I handled this situation?

Report his/her behind to the State or to any other organization that has a say over this game. It does not matter, what happen first. The whistle does not stop the clock, the play is already dead. So all you have to decide is, did the travel happen first or did the coach call the timeout first. Either way you had to make a determination and no matter what you did, someone was going to be upset. Chalk it up to experience and learn from it. That is all you can do.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 09:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Rut's absolutely right on this. If this happens, you should immediately confer with your partner to see which happened first. The "which" I refer to is the actual travel vs. the recognition by you of the request for the timeout, not which whistle came first.

Remember, your goal here is to get the call right.

OK - now what if you and your partner determine they came at exactly the same time? That's why some refs keep a coin in their pocket. We tell people it's to keep track of possession, but this is what it's really for.

BTW - if a howler monkey tells me I "can't see" after a game and I'm still on the court, he gets a T. Gee, wouldn't it be too bad if it cost him the game. Gee.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Of course, I agree with JRut and Padgett - talk over which occurred first, not which whistle came first. (One that's happened to me a few times this year is that I'll call a block/charge from lead, and the trail will have a travel - he'll pass the call to me, then tell me afterwards the dribbler travelled into the defender.) (Yes - I know he's no longer a dribbler if he travelled!)

BTW, I actually had someone tell me I needed new glasses after a flag football game. My Rx was getting somewhat old, so I just told him - Yes, I know. Do you want to pay for them?

He just walked away without any further comment.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 10:54pm
Administrator

Quote:

I agree with the previous posters about the inappropriate comments by the coach after the game. But, I think that we should also look at this play from a position of how to handle the "double" whistle.

I have a question for you, Kristy: Did Head Coach A make his request (remember that players and head coachs (assistant coaches also for NCAA Women's) for a timeout before A1 traveled? If the answer to my question is yes, then you should have gone heavy on your whistle and went straight to your partner to let him know that Coach A's request for a timeout was before A1 traveled and then grant Team A its timeout.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 11:03pm
In Memoriam

Concurring.

Kristy,
What the boys said.
Also, if you saw the travel after you recognized the time-out request, but before you blew your whistle, you probably would have had an easy sell to your partner just by telling your partner that I saw the request first.
It'll be more comfortable with a few more games and a few more similar situations under your belt.
And, don't hesitate to blow your whistle for something you see. In your case, had you blown the whistle, as I am sure you know now, and then discussed it with your partner, the angry coach would have had less "ammunition" to act like an idiot.

mick

Hmmmm. Mark T. and I seem to be on the same page tonight.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quicker Whistle

Thanks for exponding on the quicker whistle and for questioning me specifically on the call, Mr. DeNucci. A1 had already traveled and my partner blew his whistle, but at the same time he blew his whistle, my arm went up to give the coach his time-out. After the game, the coach stated that he requested a time-out way before the travel, but I told the coach that my partner called the traveling violation before I could grant him his time-out.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quicker Whistle

Thanks for all of the replys. They are very, very, very, helpful. I am only looking to become a better official, and with this kind of feedback, I cannot help but to improve.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Quicker Whistle

Quote:
Thanks for exponding on the quicker whistle and for questioning me specifically on the call, Mr. DeNucci. A1 had already traveled and my partner blew his whistle, but at the same time he blew his whistle, my arm went up to give the coach his time-out. After the game, the coach stated that he requested a time-out way before the travel, but I told the coach that my partner called the traveling violation before I could grant him his time-out.
Remember two things:

(1) Other than lag time, when the whistle sounds is inconsequential - you 'granted' the timeout when you recognized it in your head. Obviously some time will elapse before the whistle blew (same for your partner and the travel call).

(2) Remember that the ball is dead when the foul/violation/TO occurs/is granted, not when the whistle sounds. If A1 shoots, has a PC foul, the ball goes in, then your whistle blows, are you going to allow the shot? (Okay - bad example because the ball is still live in this case ). If B1 fouls A1, A1 then starts a shooting motion, then you blow the whistle, do you allow A1 to continue the shooting motion/allow the shot should it go in?
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

I agree, it's what happens first, not who blows the whistle first. I remember one of my first Rec games, coach A was calling for a time out, as I attempted to blow my whistle it flew out of my mouth and my partner whistled a travel. I was way too green to overthrow his call. Opps.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Quicker Whistle

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replys. They are very, very, very, helpful. I am only looking to become a better official, and with this kind of feedback, I cannot help but to improve.
Kristy -- You are right that this board will help you improve. Here are two suggestions to help you use the board to its maximum value. First, ask lots of questions. Carefully consider how you word them so that the real question gets answered. Second, until you have more expereience, do not use the "Davisms" out loud to coaches, players or fans. Just think them in your head to give you a sense of humor and to keep your perspective.

Also, if you want some discussion about something that has to do with being female in this avocation, feel free to e-mail me. I don't know it all, by any means, but at least it will give you one more female opinion. There are other women on this board, who have been helpful to me in the past, but I'll let them speak for themselves.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 11:42am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink Re: Re: Quicker Whistle

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Second, until you have more expereience, do not use the "Davisms" out loud to coaches, players or fans.
Aw Juulie, you spoil all my fun.