Thread: Quicker Whistle
View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 09:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb The play is already dead.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristy Roberson
Approximately 4.0 seconds left in the last quarter, A1 brings the ball down court, as he passes half court, he travels-and my partner blows the whistle for the traveling violation---giving the ball to B1's team. At the same time he blew his whistle, my hand was up to blow the whistle to give the coach his time-out--but my partner beat me to the whistle. No doubt the coach was furious for me not granting him a time-out--but my partner signaled first. After the game the coach approached me with all kinds of insults---"You know you heard me call a time-out, You can't see, You guys need to learn how to call," etc. Well, anyways, I told him that I had no comments and explained to him that my partner beat me to the whistle. How should have I handled this situation?

Report his/her behind to the State or to any other organization that has a say over this game. It does not matter, what happen first. The whistle does not stop the clock, the play is already dead. So all you have to decide is, did the travel happen first or did the coach call the timeout first. Either way you had to make a determination and no matter what you did, someone was going to be upset. Chalk it up to experience and learn from it. That is all you can do.

Peace