Thread: Quicker Whistle
View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Quicker Whistle

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristy Roberson
Thanks for exponding on the quicker whistle and for questioning me specifically on the call, Mr. DeNucci. A1 had already traveled and my partner blew his whistle, but at the same time he blew his whistle, my arm went up to give the coach his time-out. After the game, the coach stated that he requested a time-out way before the travel, but I told the coach that my partner called the traveling violation before I could grant him his time-out.
Remember two things:

(1) Other than lag time, when the whistle sounds is inconsequential - you 'granted' the timeout when you recognized it in your head. Obviously some time will elapse before the whistle blew (same for your partner and the travel call).

(2) Remember that the ball is dead when the foul/violation/TO occurs/is granted, not when the whistle sounds. If A1 shoots, has a PC foul, the ball goes in, then your whistle blows, are you going to allow the shot? (Okay - bad example because the ball is still live in this case ). If B1 fouls A1, A1 then starts a shooting motion, then you blow the whistle, do you allow A1 to continue the shooting motion/allow the shot should it go in?