Thread: Quicker Whistle
View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 10:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristy Roberson
Approximately 4.0 seconds left in the last quarter, A1 brings the ball down court, as he passes half court, he travels-and my partner blows the whistle for the traveling violation---giving the ball to B1's team. At the same time he blew his whistle, my hand was up to blow the whistle to give the coach his time-out--but my partner beat me to the whistle. No doubt the coach was furious for me not granting him a time-out--but my partner signaled first. After the game the coach approached me with all kinds of insults---"You know you heard me call a time-out, You can't see, You guys need to learn how to call," etc. Well, anyways, I told him that I had no comments and explained to him that my partner beat me to the whistle. How should have I handled this situation?

I agree with the previous posters about the inappropriate comments by the coach after the game. But, I think that we should also look at this play from a position of how to handle the "double" whistle.

I have a question for you, Kristy: Did Head Coach A make his request (remember that players and head coachs (assistant coaches also for NCAA Women's) for a timeout before A1 traveled? If the answer to my question is yes, then you should have gone heavy on your whistle and went straight to your partner to let him know that Coach A's request for a timeout was before A1 traveled and then grant Team A its timeout.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio