The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 03, 2000, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

On an attempt for goal, the offensive player releases the basketball. The ball goes through the basket. The horn sounds ending the quarter of play. The offensive player is still an airborn shooter,
he makes contact with a defensive player who has position.

This contact which normally would be called a player control foul.

There is argument between the officials in our meetings.
1. Does the basket count or do you call a player control foul ?

2. Do you call the player control foul since the horn sounded, prior to contact to end the quarter of play ?

3. Is this a no call situation, since the offensive player released the ball, scores the basket, horn sounds to end play, and then makes contact with defensive player?

4. Does the call differ between the following : 1. End of Quarter and the End of the game ?
What the correct call ?
Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Question

PLEASE NOTE :
Two officials who work womens games in the Big Ten, says that the basket counts and
that there is a no call on the foul since the horn sounded prior to contact.

This is just a dumb statment from them, what if after the horn sounded, there was a punch thrown.....do you let it go because the horn went off. I DON'T THINK SO.

Now on to your question....it would depend on when in the game this happened. If it was at the final horn, I would probable let it go. If it was any earlier, and the contact was hard, I wipe the basket off and call a player control foul.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 01:48am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
The horn sounding has no impact on whether or not you call a foul. If the shooter had just released the ball, then the horn went off, and then (while still in the air) he was pummelled by a defender you would call a foul, right? It goes equally for an offensive foul.

Regarding the question about end of quarter versus the end of the game - I don't see how someone can make a distinction. Either the foul warrants calling or it doesn't. OK, maybe if the game is a 30 point blowout and the offensive team is the one that is down by 30 you let it go just so that the game will be over! But other than that I say that you call the foul like you would at any other point in the game.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

By NF rule airborne shooter is still airborne shooter until he/she touches the ground. If a legal gaurding position has been established and the shooter initiates the contact then the horn is irrelevant. Wipe off bucket and report the foul.
(Preventive refereeing would suggest that you better be sure about this call before you make it)
Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question, is this a college game, or high school?? If high school, then it's simple.
You have a player control foul, no basket. No matter at what point of the game which it happens. Re: Rule 5, art. 2
Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

If you would have called a player control earlier in the game on a similar play, then it is a player control foul and depending on what rules you are playing under the status of the goal is:

NF: Does not count.

Clg Women: Does not count (Same rule as Fed)

Clg Men: Counts and maybe shooting free throws at the other end depending on the number of team fouls.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
MSOA,
If you look in the NF case book play situation, 4-19-6C senerio A will tell you that a "Player Control" foul has happened. Seeing A-1 is protected until returning to the floor B-1 should not be unfairly penalized by a no call or the horn sounding ending the period while playing legitimate defence. The block/charge is our bread and butter play and we need to administer it reguardless of when it occours during a game.

------------------
Don
Old Wed Jan 05, 2000, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Let em preference what I mean by the end of the game...if the basket or the free throws will not change the score, then there is no need to call the foul. That is why I said if at the end of the game let it go.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2000, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Thumbs up

Dennis,
What i mean by what i stated was "consistency" if you and your partner an not calling the same things in the game, don't call something that has never been called all game at the end. But if you have been calling the block/charge all game then by all meens do so at the end of the game even if it doesn't have anything to do with the outcome, if it is a charge no basket but no foul shots at the other end.

------------------
Don
Old Wed Jan 05, 2000, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Easy call in NF and Womens College since the airborne shooter rules are the same.

The horn does not cause the ball to become dead unless it is still in the hands of a player/shooter.

Old Wed Jan 05, 2000, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

If the play happened in the sequence you stated (release, basket, horn, crash) it sounds like the defensive player must have been awfully deep under the basket in order to have been playing any defense to begin with. I know some of you purest aren't going to like that response, but you can't possibly play defense standing under the basket!!!

KJ
Old Wed Jan 05, 2000, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Question

quote:
Originally posted by KidKJ on 01-05-2000 04:00 PM
If the play happened in the sequence you stated (release, basket, horn, crash) it sounds like the defensive player must have been awfully deep under the basket in order to have been playing any defense to begin with. I know some of you purest aren't going to like that response, but you can't possibly play defense standing under the basket!!!

KJ

How can you detrmine where the defender was from the original post? It could have been a 3 pointer for all we know.

Player Control Foul under high school rules!
Old Thu Jan 06, 2000, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Kreimer on 01-05-2000 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KidKJ on 01-05-2000 04:00 PM

KJ

How can you detrmine where the defender was from the original post? It could have been a 3 pointer for all we know.

Player Control Foul under high school rules!
How could you physically have a player shoot the ball from the arc stay in the air long enough to have the ball go in and the horn go off and then crash into a defender??
Old Thu Jan 06, 2000, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

quote:
Originally posted by KidKJ on 01-06-2000 04:03 PM
How could you physically have a player shoot the ball from the arc stay in the air long enough to have the ball go in and the horn go off and then crash into a defender??

Player A is running hard down the court, time is about to run out, defender is in place, as he gets close to the Arc, he leaps and fires the ball off with two hands, horn goes off, plear a comes down on the defender, player control foul, that's how.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2000, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Michael Jordon returned to high school!