View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspaul
I was born and raised in Vidor,Texas. Whatever you may have heard, it's not how everyone in the town is. Google it if you don't understand. I have never considered myself a person who cares about the color of your skin, hair or shoes. I never thought about how some words can get twisted, until about the year 2000. Just before stepping into the jump circle for a Toss, I verbally and visibally, signaled direction for each team. As I did it, I realized that one team was all black players, wearing black. The other team was all white players, wearing white. I remember after I said it, "Black this way, White this way." I felt like someone had a voodoo doll of me and they were stabbing me in the back.

I now use the term Team black or Team white. At first it was weird, but after forcing myself to do it, I never think about it. It just comes out.

Time outs are reported to the table as " Coach, Team black, 30 second

When giving jump circle instructions, I refer to Team White or Team Red.

When the game is in play, I do not refer to fouls or OOB's as Team . I simply say "Red 32" on fouls. I simply say "RED" on OOB's.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't like reporting to the scorer, "Black, Coach 30 second TO."

By no means do I ever want to have someone distort what my true meaning is. The games not about me. I want to be seldom seen.

TexasPaul. I understand your apphension. Personally, I think we have come a long ways in society. I did Google Vidor, Texas READ the first article which discussed race relation or the lack of in the small town. In you situation as an official you should not be too concern with the color of a team jersey. You did not pick it out; You did not schedule the game. You got hired to officiate it. Stick with that.