Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Me.
I'm in line behind you.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Please don't make up your own rules...

...there is no rule that prohibits a player from "screaming" or "yelling" during the scenarios (try for goal) cited in this thread. It may be annoying, but it is not illegal.

This is not a new phenomenon--Players have been doing this forever/probably more on the girls side than boys.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 03:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I'm in line behind you.
And I behind you fullor!

We've had this discussion on this forum before. Consensus is - no one likes it; it's bothersome and can be annoying; heck, it gives me a headache sometimes - but, it's not against the rules - unfortunately.....

My question to a coach (for my education only) would be this - where did you learn this was an acceptable technique and why do you teach it? Pros, college, HS - don't do it. Why do you think it's ok? JMO

Edit - Also gets into the territory when a player "yells at another" as he goes up for a layup that we've discussed here before too. HEY! or MISS! How loud? In his ear? Unsporting?......T? Not against the rules...

Last edited by grunewar; Tue Jan 29, 2008 at 03:12pm.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Dang rules differences!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox34
...there is no rule that prohibits a player from "screaming" or "yelling" during the scenarios (try for goal) cited in this thread. It may be annoying, but it is not illegal.

This is not a new phenomenon--Players have been doing this forever/probably more on the girls side than boys.
I thought I remembered something about this when they started changing rulesets here (ON).

In FIBA play, according to Statement 3 regarding the Technical Foul rule (Art. 38) in their Official Interpetations document (page 13, see link below), such behaviour is illegal and should be penalized with a TF if the attempt is unsuccesful, or with an official warning to the team if successful.
http://www.fiba.com/downloads/Rules/04_rules_int.pdf

Still happy that most of my games use Fed.!

Andrew
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
And I behind you fullor!

We've had this discussion on this forum before. Consensus is - no one likes it; it's bothersome and can be annoying; heck, it gives me a headache sometimes - but, it's not against the rules - unfortunately.....

My question to a coach (for my education only) would be this - where did you learn this was an acceptable technique and why do you teach it? Pros, college, HS - don't do it. Why do you think it's ok? JMO

Edit - Also gets into the territory when a player "yells at another" as he goes up for a layup that we've discussed here before too. HEY! or MISS! How loud? In his ear? Unsporting?......T? Not against the rules...

Ball, ball, ball, is taught to let weak side defender with back to ball know where ball is, similar to dead, dead, dead, when defense, especially help lines are tightened.

That said, annoying.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox34

FYI, I am not in the practice of "making up my own rules." I mis-applied the free throw disconcertion rule. Honest mistake. In the future, I will allow this annoying behavior as it is not against the rules...
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
No you are correct no swedish word looks like that
The player was german though...
Anyhow, as Four-Oh already said, things might be diffrent in FIBA
38.1.2 Each team shall do its best to secure victory, but this must be done in the spirit of sportsmanship and fair play.
38.1.3 Any deliberate or repeated non-cooperation or non-compliance with the spirit of this rule shall be considered as a technical foul.
38.3 Definition
38.3.1 A technical foul is a player non-contact foul of a behavioural nature including, but not limited to:
• Baiting an opponent or obstructing his vision by waving his hands near his eyes.

And from the link Four-oh posted

Statement 3:
While a player is in the act of shooting for goal, opponents shall not be permitted to disconcert that player by actions such as waving a hand(s) to obstruct the shooter’s field of vision, shouting loudly, stamping feet heavily or clapping hands near the shooter. To do so may result in a
technical foul if the shooter is disadvantaged by the action, or a warning if the shooter is not disadvantaged.
Example
A4 is in the act of shooting for a goal when B4 attempts to distract A4 by shouting loudly or stamping feet heavily of the floor. The shot for goal is:
(a) Successful
(b) Unsuccessful.
Interpretation:
(a) A warning shall be given to B4 and shall be communicated to coach B. This warning shall apply to all players of team B for the remainder of the game for similar behaviour.
(b) A technical foul shall be charged to B4.

The shot she made was unsucessful.
The defensive players actions were acording to me unsportsmanlike. They were not in the spirit of the game and they were a violation of the articles regarding technical fouls. And the shooter was disadvantaged by her actions.
This is when I call the game a technical foul, if it is everywhere in the world I can't say, but that was a foul I would call another 100 times if it came up