The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 09:24pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to Moshiner1345
Question coaching box questions

Okay a few scenarios for everyone. NFHS rules and may I please have rule references please or case scenarios.

Team A head coach gets a direct technical. He loses coaching box privileges. Can the asst. coach stand up and coach, or does he also lose coaching box privileges? What about if team A's bench personnel wants to protest, can they stand up the rest of the game?

Team A asst. coach gets a technical, indirect towards the head coach. Does the head coach lose coaching box privileges? Can the asst. still use the coaching box?

Dunk during warm ups, indirect towards the head coach. Does the head coach lose coaching box privileges? What about the Asst. coach can he use the coaching box?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 09:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshiner1345
Okay a few scenarios for everyone. NFHS rules and may I please have rule references please or case scenarios.

Team A head coach gets a direct technical. He loses coaching box privileges. Can the asst. coach stand up and coach, or does he also lose coaching box privileges? What about if team A's bench personnel wants to protest, can they stand up the rest of the game?
The assistant coach can never stand in the coaching box nor has any privileges to the coaching box at all. Of course an assistant can stand for reasons stated in 10-4-4.

Quote:
Team A asst. coach gets a technical, indirect towards the head coach. Does the head coach lose coaching box privileges? Can the asst. still use the coaching box?
Yes. No. 10-5 Note #1.

Quote:
Dunk during warm ups, indirect towards the head coach. Does the head coach lose coaching box privileges? What about the Asst. coach can he use the coaching box?
Yes. No. 10-5 Note #1.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 09:43pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to Moshiner1345
JRutledge I want to thank you for the rule reference. I never actually understood the entire 10-4-4 rule until now. Thank you again.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Where did you get the idea that an asst. coach was allowed to stand and coach or that anyone on the bench was allowed to stand and protest a call?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 06:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
What about if team A's bench personnel wants to protest, can they stand up the rest of the game?
Bench personnel can never protest. Ever.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The assistant coach can never stand in the coaching box nor has any privileges to the coaching box at all. Of course an assistant can stand for reasons stated in 10-4-4.
Assistant Coaches are like kids. They should be seen (but sitting down) and not heard.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What about if team A's bench personnel wants to protest, can they stand up the rest of the game?
The coach must inform the referee before hand that all bench personnel will be standing for the remainder of the game in protest of all the bad calls, if not then the normal bench decorum rules will apply.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 05:20pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Assistant Coaches are like kids. They should be seen (but sitting down) and not heard.

They can also be compared to bathroom fixtures...only good for holding towels.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You should also check out the following POE.

2005-06 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1. Sporting Behavior.
D. Coaching box: The committee wants coaches to stay in the coaching box. There is a constant problem when coaches wander. It is a distinct advantage to the coach who is permitted to be out of the box because the coach has a better chance to communicate with his/her team. The coach can also influence play by being out on the court.

The rule is black-and-white, but it has not been dealt with properly. Most officials have not enforced the rule. The fact that the coach is not directing comments to the officials or is "coaching the team" has no bearing on rule enforcement. The coach who continually abuses the coaching-box rule risks having his or her governing body remove it completely. The official who doesn't enforce it runs the risk of not following what the governing body wants enforced.

Once the coaching box has been removed because of a technical foul, all related rules restrictions must apply. There's no way to get the box back after the privilege has been lost.

Assistant coaches must be seated at all times except during time-outs, to attend to an injured player after being beckoned and to spontaneously react to a play. The rules that permit a head coach to rise in certain situations (time-outs, confer with table personnel for a correctable error, dealing with disqualifications) do not apply to assistant coaches under any circumstances. Again, the fact that an assistant coach is "only coaching" has no bearing on the rule or enforcement.

Head coaches have the responsibility to remain in the box. School administrators must support that by demanding their coaches do so. When violated, the official must enforce the rule with a technical foul.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Where did you get the idea that an asst. coach was allowed to stand and coach or that anyone on the bench was allowed to stand and protest a call?
Chill out! He's new and wanted to ask a Q.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 12:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
Chill out! He's new and wanted to ask a Q.
I don't know if I'm getting into the middle of some kinda personal thingy.....but.... BktBallRef just wanted to make the same point that I also wanted to make....there is no rules provisions for anyone on the bench to protest any call, unless it's the head coach in a correctable error situation. We simply do(or should) not allow it.

Don't you think that new officials should be taught the correct rules? Isn't that what this forum is for?Or am I missing something?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I am not sure what is in the air, or water around here, but it seems that coaching behavior and player behavior has reached some sort of critical mass. I have had to assess more Ts this year than in all the previous seasons combined.

I had a girl step over an opponent who was still down on the floor from a loose ball and drag her trailing foot across the opponents abdomen.

I've had a kid get fouled, get the call, yet still swing his elbows while yelling "Get off me" and whack a kid in the chest pretty hard.

I've had an assistant coach complain about a call 15 seconds after being warned by my partner that anything else will be a T.

I had a coach confront me at the scorer's table at the 10:00 mark while checking the book to complain about the resumption of play procedure in a previous game. (No T there, but we ended up with one down the road in the game)

Has Bobby Knight been on TV THAT much lately????
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Don't you think that new officials should be taught the correct rules? Isn't that what this forum is for?Or am I missing something?
Absolutely. Yes. If this had been a Q from a regular poster, who should know these answers, I would have no problem with a mean spirited response. Moshiner1345 is new and deserved a civil response.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 01:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
Absolutely. Yes. If this had been a Q from a regular poster, who should know these answers, I would have no problem with a mean spirited response. Moshiner1345 is new and deserved a civil response.
Man, if you think that was mean-spirited, you just haven't been paying attention.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Man, if you think that was mean-spirited, you just haven't been paying attention.
I guess I have been watching too many political debates lately.