The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 03:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Frankly, I've never understood the angst over "stays here" and "that way". They both communicate just as clearly as calling out a color. Which is to say that in my game Friday I used all of them at various times (that way, stays here, white, black) and the home team seemed unable to understand them all equally.
I have very little angst over mechanics, but this one does drive me nuts. Not sure why, except that it isn't that hard to get the colors right and it does seem a bit more confident you know what's going on.

Someone will mention that "it's in the book" but that reason doesn't really do it for me.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistleone
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated.
It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.
It is at the same time rewarding and maddening-it is without
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
This I concur with!!!
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Frankly, I've never understood the angst over "stays here" and "that way". They both communicate just as clearly as calling out a color. Which is to say that in my game Friday I used all of them at various times (that way, stays here, white, black) and the home team seemed unable to understand them all equally.
Actually seeing the play may have prevented some of their confusion.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

One would hope so. But one would have been frustrated in this case.

I'm very vocal and quite loud. People don't normally have any trouble hearing or understanding me. But there were still multiple occassions where I'm standing on H's baseline, holding the ball, while the other team is setting up to defend the throw-in, and I'm having to ask a second or third time for a thrower. One time, after having called "White" one girl looks at me and says, "I thought you said black." Really? Apparently none of the black players thought so. Another time, after calling out "stays here" and again having to call for a thrower, a girl (possibly the same girl?) says, "Oh, is it ours?" There were other instances in this game. In every case I clearly vocalized the direction and pointed. Maybe I should have asked the H-AC to text the call to his girls?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm very vocal and quite loud. People don't normally have any trouble hearing or understanding me. But there were still multiple occassions where I'm standing on H's baseline, holding the ball, while the other team is setting up to defend the throw-in, and I'm having to ask a second or third time for a thrower. One time, after having called "White" one girl looks at me and says, "I thought you said black." Really? Apparently none of the black players thought so. Another time, after calling out "stays here" and again having to call for a thrower, a girl (possibly the same girl?) says, "Oh, is it ours?" There were other instances in this game. In every case I clearly vocalized the direction and pointed. Maybe I should have asked the H-AC to text the call to his girls?

Officiating of the future.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 05:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

It's stunning to me how, so often after a timeout, a team will come out of the huddle and ask "whose ball is it?" I mean, what was discussed during the 60 seconds you were in the huddle? Post-game plans?

How can players (and it's usually girls who exhibit this trait) not have any clue what's going on in the game?

Last edited by Rich; Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 05:34pm.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 05:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Thats what I need to do... train myself to stop the clock with whatever hand that I'm going to signal pos with.
I'm not sure what level of ball you primarily do, but if need be, ask your assignor to take some lower level games where there's more time to work on such things. Getting that VB game with two state rivals is not a good time to try new mechanics, which might, imo, get you mixed up and look like a dork some times.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 08:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Hurts !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
My FAVORITE official is the one that just raises a hand and says a color without pointing.
Hey, I jammed some fingers "pointing" into a wall a few weeks ago. Not too much space between the endline and the wall. At first I thought that I broke or dislocated some fingers.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 08:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
It's stunning to me how, so often after a timeout, a team will come out of the huddle and ask "whose ball is it?" I mean, what was discussed during the 60 seconds you were in the huddle? Post-game plans?

How can players (and it's usually girls who exhibit this trait) not have any clue what's going on in the game?
Yes! Good call.
Thanks for the chuckle.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I'm not sure what level of ball you primarily do, but if need be, ask your assignor to take some lower level games where there's more time to work on such things. Getting that VB game with two state rivals is not a good time to try new mechanics, which might, imo, get you mixed up and look like a dork some times.

I'm a first year official so I cannot work any higher then jv. I mostly do 7th and 8th. My first year I want to establish good habbits so.. I dont mind looking the fool now if I look much more polished later.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It might have something to do with the tightness of the pre-wrap on their head.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 09:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
I'm a first year official so I cannot work any higher then jv. I mostly do 7th and 8th. My first year I want to establish good habbits so.. I dont mind looking the fool now if I look much more polished later.
You keep working at it, Bearfanmike20, like you seem to be doing. All of a sudden, the little things will start to .
...But never be content with "looking the fool".