The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Correct mechanic?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41442-correct-mechanic.html)

Bearfanmike20 Mon Jan 28, 2008 01:23pm

Correct mechanic??

OK.. you are trail on table side (2man) Ball goes out of bounds on table side in the front court right next to you. Pos is going the other way. Right hand goes up to stop the clock... do you.

a. signal pos with your left hand

or

b. reach across your body with your right hand and signal pos.

I have been doing A.) as I was under the impression that it was taboo to cross your body with your oposite hand...

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Jan 28, 2008 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
OK.. you are trail on table side (2man) Ball goes out of bounds on table side in the front court right next to you. Pos is going the other way. Right hand goes up to stop the clock... do you.

a. signal pos with your left hand

or

b. reach across your body with your right hand and signal pos.

I have been doing A.) as I was under the impression that it was taboo to cross your body with your oposite hand...

I have always been taught to use the same hand to stop the clock and signal the direction. If you use one hand and then the other, it looks like you are directing traffic. :D

grunewar Mon Jan 28, 2008 01:26pm

Concur with W&S, I was taught never to switch hands - just to use the one.

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 28, 2008 01:28pm

I also do not use two arms. I stop the clock with the arm that I need to point direction with.

Bearfanmike20 Mon Jan 28, 2008 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I also do not use two arms. I stop the clock with the arm that I need to point direction with.

Thats what I need to do... train myself to stop the clock with whatever hand that I'm going to signal pos with.

whistleone Mon Jan 28, 2008 01:55pm

When you point across your body, you run the risk of turning your back to the play. Using two-whistle mechanics dead ball officiating is that much more difficult and having your back to the players makes it even harder.

I try to use the same hand when signaling to stop the clock and pointing the direction. When my brain can't process that quickly I simply drop my hand and then point with the other.

Back In The Saddle Mon Jan 28, 2008 02:02pm

I was taught never to use two hands, and never to cross your body. So when this happens, I take the ball across the court where I'm facing the other direction, and then signal. ;)

mick Mon Jan 28, 2008 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I was taught never to use two hands, and never to cross your body. So when this happens, I take the ball across the court where I'm facing the other direction, and then signal. ;)

Ha! ...Like those nails in my pouch are for the other side of the house. :)

rainmaker Mon Jan 28, 2008 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by whistleone
When you point across your body, you run the risk of turning your back to the play. Using two-whistle mechanics dead ball officiating is that much more difficult and having your back to the players makes it even harder.

I try to use the same hand when signaling to stop the clock and pointing the direction. When my brain can't process that quickly I simply drop my hand and then point with the other.

Whistle and stop clock, (shoot! wrong hand again!), lower hand and shout color, look inquisitively at benches to "be sure I';m pointing the right direction", and then use appropriate hand. Only adds half a second to the process to look at benches first, but prevents pointing the wrong way, and takes away the "traffic signal" look.

Bearfanmike20 Mon Jan 28, 2008 02:26pm

OK.. so both are taboo.. so my question then becomes... which is worse??..

signalling with 2 hands.. or going across the body??

What if I goof.. am I to walk across the court as suggested by B.I.T.S.??

jdw3018 Mon Jan 28, 2008 02:30pm

Quote:

I prefer dropping the chop hand and pointing with the other, unless you need to "sell" the call, then the quick across the body can work.

Just be confident and decisive and don't let it happen too often. :D

Coltdoggs Mon Jan 28, 2008 02:55pm

Quote:

Hey, if it's the deaf school, two hand mechanics are accepted and approved! ;)

mick Mon Jan 28, 2008 02:58pm

Quote:

Given the 3 choices, I'd prefer to watch going across the body.

Rich Mon Jan 28, 2008 03:10pm

I just point the direction on out of bounds calls, so I don't have this problem. I know this would be taboo in most areas of the country, so I say it tongue-in-cheek.

Seriously, you want to be facing the court. If the ball is going to the right, raise the right hand and signal with it. If the ball is going to your left, raise your left hand and signal with it.

My FAVORITE official is the one that just raises a hand and says a color without pointing. Followed closely by a point accompanied by a "stays here" or "that way." Gives me great confidence in the call, let me tell ya.

Back In The Saddle Mon Jan 28, 2008 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I just point the direction on out of bounds calls, so I don't have this problem. I know this would be taboo in most areas of the country, so I say it tongue-in-cheek.

Seriously, you want to be facing the court. If the ball is going to the right, raise the right hand and signal with it. If the ball is going to your left, raise your left hand and signal with it.

My FAVORITE official is the one that just raises a hand and says a color without pointing. Followed closely by a point accompanied by a "stays here" or "that way." Gives me great confidence in the call, let me tell ya.

Frankly, I've never understood the angst over "stays here" and "that way". They both communicate just as clearly as calling out a color. Which is to say that in my game Friday I used all of them at various times (that way, stays here, white, black) and the home team seemed unable to understand them all equally. :rolleyes: