The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Player goes OOB

Suppose player A1 gets a rebound, loses his balance and the ball, stumbles out of bounds (ball remains in bounds), he regains his position in bounds, and then secures the ball. No one else has touched the ball. Would you call a violation on this? I can't find any rule that prohibets a player from gaining control of a live ball after stepping OOB EXCEPT Rule 9.3 which says a player cannot leave the floor for an unauthorized reason. All interpretations of this rule seem to indicate that the intent is to keep a player from INTENTIONALLY leaving the floor, and in the case above, this was NOT intentional, so I don't see that a violoation occurred. If the rule were meant for any player leaving the floor for any reason, we'd be calling violations after nearly every contested layup. Comments?
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 01:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust

If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must not have left the court voluntarily and must immediately return inbounds. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds. It is a violation for a player to intentionally leave the court for an unauthorized reason.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlancast
Suppose player A1 gets a rebound, loses his balance and the ball, stumbles out of bounds (ball remains in bounds), he regains his position in bounds, and then secures the ball. No one else has touched the ball. Would you call a violation on this? I can't find any rule that prohibets a player from gaining control of a live ball after stepping OOB EXCEPT Rule 9.3 which says a player cannot leave the floor for an unauthorized reason. All interpretations of this rule seem to indicate that the intent is to keep a player from INTENTIONALLY leaving the floor, and in the case above, this was NOT intentional, so I don't see that a violoation occurred. If the rule were meant for any player leaving the floor for any reason, we'd be calling violations after nearly every contested layup. Comments?
No violation. If the ball stayed in bounds, his momentum carried him out then as long as he established himself on the inbounds side of the floor before touching the ball I have nothing. Legal play.