The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Hi Everyone- Our local Educator called me the other day and had this situation.
Player dives for a lose ball slides along the floor and comes to a stop in control of the ball. The player is face down belly to the floor in a fully extended position-What can he/she do now? I said the player can:
1 Call time out;
2 Start a dribble and stand up;
3 Pass or shoot the ball;or
4 Wait to be tied up and go to the arrow.
I said the player can't stand up or roll over without violating.
Unfortunately we are just reverting to NCAA Men's rules in this area and as yet have not received our Case Books.
HELP!!!
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

What's happening Pete. Hope you had a great New Year.

Not much to add here because you're exactly right.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Can she leave the ball on the floor, get up and then pick the ball up?
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see why not, but would you consider that a dribble?
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

I believe if the player begins to dribble *before* she attempts to stand up, it's a legal play...? I know she can't roll over, and I wouldn't see why she couldn't call time out. Waiting for a jump would be silly, but I guess that's OK too...as long as she's not fouled. Of course, if I'm a coach and I've got a player who can score from her stomach....that's my offense! Two points for ability! (Legal play, too!)
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeD1
I don't see why not, but would you consider that a dribble?
No. Putting the ball on the floor or touching the floor with the ball while holding it is not considered starting a dribble.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

The player cannot place the ball on the floor and get up, then be the first to touch the ball. It would be travelling. This is per the case book 4.43.5B Good Question!!
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Wu
The player cannot place the ball on the floor and get up, then be the first to touch the ball. It would be travelling. This is per the case book 4.43.5B Good Question!!
I have to admit to a bit of baiting! I've never seen this happen but I knew about the case play. Good answer, Buck!
Old Sat Jan 06, 2001, 12:41am
In Memoriam

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
I have to admit to a bit of baiting! I've never seen this happen but I knew about the case play. Good answer, Buck!

Old Sat Jan 06, 2001, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

You learn something new every day!
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
The player cannot place the ball on the floor and get up, then be the first to touch the ball. It would be travelling.
Okay, what about put the ball on the floor and hold it down while getting up but never pick up the ball. Hold it until someone else came and got it. I saw this happen and had no clue what to think!! I gave the kid the no-call for being creative (the other coach didn't feel quite so charitable)
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
The player cannot place the ball on the floor and get up, then be the first to touch the ball. It would be travelling.
Okay, what about put the ball on the floor and hold it down while getting up but never pick up the ball. Hold it until someone else came and got it. I saw this happen and had no clue what to think!! I gave the kid the no-call for being creative (the other coach didn't feel quite so charitable)
It's no different, it's still traveling. If he's holding it, even if it's touching the floor, he still has player control. Had I not known the rule, I would have probably called this a travel before I would have called the case book play a violation.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
In this case, the player is (as you said) holding the ball. Therefore standing is a travel.

Now, if he/she were to put the ball down, stand, then guard the ball (like during a kickoff in football), another teammate could pick it up.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
It is traveling per the case book play (4.43.5B). The player cannot put the ball on the floor and then rise and be the "first to touch the ball" This play may be creative, but it is still a travel. Now, if he set it there and got up and did not touch it, but kind of guarded it then it is nothing. He can't be the first to touch when getting off the floor.