The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 09:55pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Bench Personnel?

I'm done reffing my Rec games tonight and go to the other gym to watch end of B13/15 game.

Team A winning by 10, 2 min to go. Player A1 fouls out. He goes to his bench and then departs. He goes to the end of the court, talk to his buds, then he goes to talk to his parents....all of this while the game is going on. I am a bit distracted by this as I know where he's supposed to be. Ref nor coach stopped him and made him return to bench. He's taking his "victory lap" of sorts....one of the league studs.

I know if I'm on the court (coach or ref) - he's on the bench with his teammates. When you foul out/get Dq'd you become bench personnel. I read Section 4 of Rule Book about coach being responsible for players and it even talks about bench players leaving the bench during fights, but saw nothing of a situation like this. Thoughts? It was kinda bizarre.....
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Ignore it in a rec league. You'll only cause yourself headaches. If the coach is ok with him taking off (there was a coach correct?) what do you care? Nice job of being a teammate in my opinion (just a little sarcasm there).
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:19am
9/11 - Never Forget

Junks - I certainly understand your point and agree.....to a point. Just curious if there's a rule/penalty to address "Bench Personnel" not on the bench/in the bench area at any level under NFHS rules?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Junks - Just curious if there's a rule/penalty to address "Bench Personnel" not on the bench/in the bench area at any level under NFHS rules?
NFHS rule 10-4-4. Technical foul if bench personnel roams.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Junks - I certainly understand your point and agree.....to a point. Just curious if there's a rule/penalty to address "Bench Personnel" not on the bench/in the bench area at any level under NFHS rules?
The NFHS addressed your concern in a POE a couple of years ago.

2004-05 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
A. ...The committee is also concerned about bench personnel leaving the bench, sometimes during a live ball. Heading into the hallway to get a drink or sitting up in the stands with friends or family, even for a short period of time, are not authorized reasons unless they are medically related. Coaches must ensure that bench personnel remain on the bench.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I suppose if you wanted to be a hard nose, you could use this.

10.4.4 Situation: Late in the game, A1 has been replaced and returns to the bench. (a) Some team members of Team A rise to applaud A1; or (b) the coach of Team A rises and shakes hands with A1 as A1 leaves the court. In both cases the individuals are immediately seated.
Ruling: There has been no violation of the bench conduct rule as it is specifically indicated that bench personnel may rise to acknowledge a replaced player. Displays of sporting behavior and fair play are to be encouraged and are clearly identifiable as such. If the state has adopted the optional coaching box, the head coach may remain standing. (10-4-4d; 10-5-1)

Rule 10
Art. 4... Stand in the team bench area while the clock is running or is stopped, and must remain seated, except:
a. The head coach as in 10-5.
b. When a team member is reporting to the scorer's table.
c. During a charged time-out, as in 5-12-5, or the intermission between quarters and extra periods.
d. To spontaneously react to an outstanding play by a team member or to acknowledge a replaced player(s), but must immediately return to his/her seat.
PENTALTY: (Arts. 1, 2, 3, 4) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in. If the head coach is the offender, the foul is charged directly to him/her. The foul is charged to the offender (if not the head coach) and also charged indirectly to the head coach. (Art. 1g) Flagrant foul, the offender is disqualified. If the offender is bench personnel, each foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter
I suppose if you wanted to be a hard nose, you could use this.
It depends on the level. The higher you go, the harder your nose gets.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:08am
9/11 - Never Forget

Thanks Nevada and JR - figured it was a T, just wanted to cite reference!
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
It depends on the level. The higher you go, the harder your nose gets.

Exactly! I did not see your post on the rules refference when I had posted mine.

My hard nose comment was made becuase I believe in the OP it was stated that this was a 12 year old recreational league.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Varsity game a few weeks ago. Coach replaces a player A1. A1 makes some comment which the coach feels is disrepectful. The coach tells an assistant coach to take him to the locker room, which he does. They return a few minutes later and sit down. Should this have been a technical?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill
Varsity game a few weeks ago. Coach replaces a player A1. A1 makes some comment which the coach feels is disrepectful. The coach tells an assistant coach to take him to the locker room, which he does. They return a few minutes later and sit down. Should this have been a technical?
If you want to make a big deal of it then maybe -- it could have been medical -- kid was off his meds. I would let the coach take him in the locker room and bring him out. This is one case where I wouldnt sniff around.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 02:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill
If the coach wants the player in the dressing room, according to NFHS guidelines he should provide adult supervision in the dressing room.

deecee, see case book 10.5.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
If the coach wants the player in the dressing room, according to NFHS guidelines he should provide adult supervision in the dressing room.

deecee, see case book 10.5.
thanks jr