The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

In my JV/Varsity girls games last night the coach for team A coached from the bench while caring for an infant little girl about eight months old. As I introduced myself to the table crew, I notice team A's scorer has the baby in a child seat on the floor. I joke where did you get the baby? "Oh, that's the coach's baby," he said pointing to her on the bench. The child spent time crawling at the scorer's table, on the floor behind the bench, with varsity players prior to their game and amazingly in the coach's arms during both games. Team B's JV coach (he lost) approached her to shake hands after the game but did a quick turnaround as she was carrying the baby. Isn't this just a little disrespectful of the coaches, players and officials. How can she give 100 percent attention to her JOB if she's babysitting? Not that childrearing isn't important. A friend of mine told me he had the same coach at a tournament a couple of weeks ago. Now, the baby didn't interfere with play, but could my partner and I have done anything to address it? Is there anything to address? I don't know of a reason to keep the kid from the bench. It just didn't look right. I'm going to bring it up at our next association meeting.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by braboa
Isn't this just a little disrespectful of the coaches, players and officials. How can she give 100 percent attention to her JOB if she's babysitting?
You have to understand that I'm a "Mr. Mom", ok? I stayed home and raised my daughter. With that in mind, I have to ask how could it possibly be disrespectful to adequately care for one's offspring? My child is literally my first priority in my life, and if I have to do something but can't find adequate care for her, then she comes with me.

I think your question should not be whether the baby's presence was disrespectful; but whether the coach could really ensure adequate care for the child while at the game.

I don't think it was disrespectful. However, I do think she probably did both her child and her team a disservice by trying to care for the child while coaching. Just my opinion.

Chuck

P.S. -- as any husband knows, caring for your own child is never "babysitting" (at least according to any wife you talk to); it's "child-rearing". File that one away for when you have to do the "babysitting"
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by braboa

Now, the baby didn't interfere with play, ... I don't know of a reason to keep the kid from the bench. It just didn't look right. I'm going to bring it up at our next association meeting.
I guess that's your answer then.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that a coach would have a baby there at the bench. Having just become a first-time dad on July 1, I realize how difficult it can be to find someone you are comfortable with to watch the baby for all the games that a person will ref and/or coach. However, I would not dream of ever taking my baby to a game or even to a referee's meeting. It would be unfair to everyone else in attendance. I think it's out of your jurisdiction since it apparently did not affect the game (although there may be a liability issue if the kid got hit by a flying basketball or player!), but I'm sure the school's principal and/or A.D. would take care of the problem if they became aware of it.

Z
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Baby on board

I would feel very uncomfortable reffing a game at the JV/V level with an infant crawling around the bench area. The chances are high that the infant will become involved in the game during the course of the season by either entering the court during a live ball, being hit with a ball, or perhaps having a player contact the baby while going after a loose ball and going out of bounds. I think the issue is safety for the infant - who is unaware of the dangers.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

re:

"I think your question should not be whether the baby's presence was disrespectful; but whether the coach could really ensure adequate care for the child while at the game."

"I don't think it was disrespectful. However, I do think she probably did both her child and her team a disservice by trying to care for the child while coaching. Just my opinion."

Chuck, I guess my concern really is whether better care could've been provided for the child at the game. Admittedly, I didn't think about the child until timeouts when I could see her crawling around, etc. I guess those would've been the moments the child was "in danger" of being hit by a loose ball or perhaps a player trying to save a ball going out of bounds. Now that I've thought about it, I'd probably tell her the child has to be on the bench in someone's care at all times.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
As a ref I have brought my babies to games. But I also brought babysitters too. As a coach, I don't see any problem with a child on the bench from a rules standpoint; but is it wise? I wouldn't do it because of two reasons. 1) I couldn't focus on my job at hand. That is why I had the babysitter. I pay them to take of the kid while I take care of business. 2) Is it safe? Kids are always chasing balls out of bounds and balls are flying off the floor from all directions. And the occasional ref running into the bench(see my post on embarassing moments). If the kid is strapped into a car seat, there is no place for them to go when the game comes to them. It is not safe.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 02:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It is so funny............

to read the enormous amount of situations we have to deal with as officials. I have heard it all now. A baby on the bench, WOW!!!

Peace
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Kids are always chasing balls out of bounds and balls are flying off the floor from all directions. And the occasional ref running into the bench(see my post on embarassing moments).
Or the occasional play at the plate. Dusty Baker's kid, anyone?
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Re: It is so funny............

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
to read the enormous amount of situations we have to deal with as officials. I have heard it all now. A baby on the bench, WOW!!!

Peace
Wha? Some games I have a baby on each bench!

"That's a travel!!! Waaa Waaa Waaa!"
"Hand check! Call the hand check! Boo hooo hooo!"
"Three seconds!!! Waaaaaaaa!"

Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 09:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not just on the bench.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

I guess then there are many more in the stands then?

Peace
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

I didn't know they were baby's, I thought they were the howler monkeys.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: Not just on the bench.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

I guess then there are many more in the stands then?

Peace
I don't know about what goes on in the stands...don't look at 'em, can't hear 'em.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 10:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Not just on the bench.

Quote:

I don't know about what goes on in the stands...don't look at 'em, can't hear 'em.
You don't have to look at them to hear them. Basketball games are not like Football, the fans are not 50 feet away from you. Kind of difficult not to hear a fan right behind you.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Not just on the bench.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

You don't have to look at them to hear them. Basketball games are not like Football, the fans are not 50 feet away from you. Kind of difficult not to hear a fan right behind you.

Peace
Ahhhhh...that's the trick. The closer they are the less I can hear them!