The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Also last week we had a player hit the floor hard but I did not feel it was necessary for the head coach to come out. I even put the stop sign up to him so he knew this. Next thing I know, the trainer, who is there for both teams, comes out to check on the player. Since we did not beckon anyone to come out, we allowed the player to stay in the game without having to use a timeout.

Anyone here gonna make the player leave?

Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Since the coach came out, especially when you put the stop sign up, I would charge a timeout.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Since the coach came out, especially when you put the stop sign up, I would charge a timeout.
Read it again Brandan... the coach never came out.

Referee judgement required here. If the player was ready to go pretty quickly, I don't think I'd make him/her leave the game. If the "uninvited" trainer attended to the player for more than just a brief moment, I think I'd beckon the coach and make the player leave or else have the coach use a time-out to keep the player in.

Z
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, the coach did not come out, only the trainer.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Sorry. Misread it.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 02:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

I usually beckon the coach onto the floor and let the coach decide if he wants to help the player. I am not in a position to determine in most cases if a player is hurt bad enough to come out of a game if that player is still lying on the court. Now if they get right up I might take my time before beckoning a coach on the floor, but I am not going to T up a coach or trainer if they choose to come out onto the floor and it is obvious their player is hurt.

In this case I would apply the rules as if they were beckoned. They would have to come out of the game and could only keep them in by calling a timeout. I had the same player get hurt during our game twice and each time we beckoned the coach to come onto the court. One of the times the coach refused to come out and wanted to see if the player could get up on his own. The second time it was obvious the player was really hurt and it took us several minutes to get this player taken care of as it look like he fell on his side after being fouled.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mj
Also last week we had a player hit the floor hard but I did not feel it was necessary for the head coach to come out. I even put the stop sign up to him so he knew this. Next thing I know, the trainer, who is there for both teams, comes out to check on the player. Since we did not beckon anyone to come out, we allowed the player to stay in the game without having to use a timeout.

I don't know about your situation, but I'd never stop the coach from coming out, unless the player was really trying to get up and saying she didn't want out. If coach wants to take the player out, that's his business.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 03:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mj

I don't know about your situation, but I'd never stop the coach from coming out, unless the player was really trying to get up and saying she didn't want out. If coach wants to take the player out, that's his business.
I'll let a coach come out anytime in the case of an injured player on the floor and I'll say, "I beckoned him."

By advising a coach to not make a poor decision, I may be putting the other team in an otherwise disadvantageus postion.
And too, if the player is in fact a "walking wounded" who talks, walks and then passes out, I have just put myself in the position of head village ignit.
mick