The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Perspective check

Last night I got a call from a buddy who also refs HS basketball here. Along with the usual inquiries about how each others games went, he passed along an interesting comment from his partner. His partner is, iirc, a second year guy. They worked a boys sophmore/JV double header together. Afterward the partner commented that he had been a little nervous going into the JV game because, "it is one of the biggest games I've ever worked."

It made me reflect. It wasn't that long ago that working a boys JV game at one of the same schools he had that night was a big game for me too. Kind of took me back and helped me see my current schedule in a whole new light. I have a new-found appreciation for how far I have come.

I get to go with that same partner back to the same he was at last night for another boys soph/JV double-header in two weeks. I'll have to buy him dinner afterward just for giving me one of the best smiles I've had all season.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:02pm
9 times

So true, so true.

It is easy to forget where we came from and what progress we have made.

Thanks.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Great post, especially this time of year as we are wearing down a little mentally and physically.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

I never looked at JV or any lower level game as a "big game." From my perspective at the time, varsity officials got paid more for the same time. Varsity officials were able to go to games later than I had. I would compare it to the person that is washing the dishes and has dreams to run the restaurant (or own the restaurant). I know when I played I had a similar position. I wanted to play with the varsity and getting to that level was the most important thing.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
It made me reflect. It wasn't that long ago that working a boys JV game at one of the same schools he had that night was a big game for me too.
Good one.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I never looked at JV or any lower level game as a "big game." From my perspective at the time, varsity officials got paid more for the same time. Varsity officials were able to go to games later than I had. I would compare it to the person that is washing the dishes and has dreams to run the restaurant (or own the restaurant). I know when I played I had a similar position. I wanted to play with the varsity and getting to that level was the most important thing.

Peace
Interesting perspective.

I'm at a point where I'm working some "big time" varsity games. They're as good as games get in my state, actually. And for where my career is, they're big time. But they're not where I want to end up.

Using your analogy, I'd equate it as the dishwasher getting his first opportunity to close the restaurant. It's not where he wants to be, but it's his chance to show his skills on the biggest stage he's had yet.

Certainly nothing wrong with enjoying the "biggest" opportunity you've had to this point and treating it as such.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Interesting perspective.

I'm at a point where I'm working some "big time" varsity games. They're as good as games get in my state, actually. And for where my career is, they're big time. But they're not where I want to end up.

Using your analogy, I'd equate it as the dishwasher getting his first opportunity to close the restaurant. It's not where he wants to be, but it's his chance to show his skills on the biggest stage he's had yet.

Certainly nothing wrong with enjoying the "biggest" opportunity you've had to this point and treating it as such.
There is nothing wrong with any perspective you choose to take. What ever keeps you going is what you should focus on. I just was an athlete in HS and like many athletes we were waiting on our time to play at the varsity level. When there were a couple of my teammates that got a varsity letter and I did not and we played on the same team. I was a little jealous and it made me work harder. There are guys that working that only care to work the Junior High Championship and that is fine with me. I just feel blessed that I am consistently picked to work what I am currently working and any college games I get the opportunity to work. I cannot complain because there are many people that would love to get some of what I cam currently working.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 10:05pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes
So true, so true.

It is easy to forget where we came from and what progress we have made.

Thanks.
It's not easy for me to forget......I'm still there! But, I hope to eventually progress and look back fondly too!