View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Perspective check

Last night I got a call from a buddy who also refs HS basketball here. Along with the usual inquiries about how each others games went, he passed along an interesting comment from his partner. His partner is, iirc, a second year guy. They worked a boys sophmore/JV double header together. Afterward the partner commented that he had been a little nervous going into the JV game because, "it is one of the biggest games I've ever worked."

It made me reflect. It wasn't that long ago that working a boys JV game at one of the same schools he had that night was a big game for me too. Kind of took me back and helped me see my current schedule in a whole new light. I have a new-found appreciation for how far I have come.

I get to go with that same partner back to the same he was at last night for another boys soph/JV double-header in two weeks. I'll have to buy him dinner afterward just for giving me one of the best smiles I've had all season.