The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 16, 2000, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

A local, sometimes "colorful" varsity coach has this perspective on his job.

He teaches his kids how to play in practise.

Come game night, his job is to get the kids to the game - and "Help the Officials!"
Old Mon Jan 17, 2000, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Unhappy

I think we all have dealt with coaches with the same philosophy. I usually tell a coach that conducts himself that way that "I don't help you coach, so please don't help me referee". I call these type of coaches "chiuauas" because they are like a small dog nipping at your ankles. Little comments like "thats a walk" or "illegal screen" every time down the floor are irritating as well as potentially distracting if you let them be. Let the coach know if he has a legitimate concern, have him/her talk to you at a time out or a dead ball, otherwise his/her concerns will not be heard if the coach is constantly nipping at your heels. It is much like the kid who cries wolf, when there is something they really want heard, you won't give them the consideration they want!
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 07:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Usually, the first time they "make a call", I'll go by them, hold up the stop sign and say "We'll call the game coach." Most of the time, they get the message.

However, in one game about 3 years ago, a coach kept trying to make all the calls. He must have thought we were a three-man crew with him as the third man. My now infamous partner, Dave, finally had enough. He told the coach, "Let's switch jobs. You come out here and call the game, and I'll sit on the bench and act like a jackass."
Old Thu Jan 20, 2000, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn on 01-17-2000 06:51 AM
I think we all have dealt with coaches with the same philosophy. I usually tell a coach that conducts himself that way that "I don't help you coach, so please don't help me referee". I call these type of coaches "chiuauas" because they are like a small dog nipping at your ankles. Little comments like "thats a walk" or "illegal screen" every time down the floor are irritating as well as potentially distracting if you let them be. Let the coach know if he has a legitimate concern, have him/her talk to you at a time out or a dead ball, otherwise his/her concerns will not be heard if the coach is constantly nipping at your heels. It is much like the kid who cries wolf, when there is something they really want heard, you won't give them the consideration they want!

It's a "chihuahua"

Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Just last Friday I had a coach who wanted to be an 'official'. I went to him during a dead ball, put my arm on his back and said, "My contract only had this as a 2-man game. When did you get assigned to the game?" This coach has in the past been resistant to adopting 3-man in the conference, so I went on to tell him, "I am going to make it known to every coach, AD, and official in the conference that you are a strong proponent of 3-man crews."

He shut up and sat down.