The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

when to start 10 second count

This is from another forum...I'd like to see what others think. Rules citations will be appreciated.

What’s your ruling on this?

A1 is dribbling in his frontcourt and B1 deflects the ball into the backcourt. The ball (a) hits the floor in A’s backcourt (b) B1 then muffs it, (c) then A1 muffs it (still in the backcourt) (d) and then A2 gains possession deep in the backcourt. The question is when does the 10 second count begin? After a, b, c or d?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

The answer is (a) and it was discussed here just yesterday. You can search for the thread if you'd like to find it.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

While team control still remains with A (since B did not gain possession), I would not start the 10 sec count until "d", when A2 has possession again in their backcourt.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
While team control still remains with A (since B did not gain possession), I would not start the 10 sec count until "d", when A2 has possession again in their backcourt.
You shoulda read the other thread......

No loss of team control by A. The count starts as soon as the ball has backcourt status....ergo-(a)
Official Forum Member

Interesting JDW3018, I will begin researching as well.
Official Forum Member

Let me tag along on this thread if I may...

Just some things to think about:

When would you start your backcourt count on a throw-in when the player lets the ball roll along the court (in the backcourt) so as not to start the clock?

What if the ball just rested there...how long could the ball rest there before you chopped the clock or started a count?
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You shoulda read the other thread......

No loss of team control by A. The count starts as soon as the ball has backcourt status....ergo-(a)
Yep, havent been on alot lately. Let me go do some reading.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

When is team control first established in the backcourt? Go with D. A team can not be in continous control of the ball in their backcourt for more than 10 seconds. Rule 9-8.

But then again, it seems that team control begins in backcourt as soon as the ball gains backcourt status. So A is valid, and it happens first, so I can see going with that.

Last edited by Hartsy; Thu Jan 24, 2008 at 03:50pm.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:47pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Let me tag along on this thread if I may...

Just some things to think about:

1. When would you start your backcourt count on a throw-in when the player lets the ball roll along the court (in the backcourt) so as not to start the clock?

2. What if the ball just rested there...how long could the ball rest there before you chopped the clock or started a count?
1. When team control is established by A in the backcourt - when an A player first controls the ball.
2. The clock starts when the ball is legally touched inbounds, so not until that happens. The 10 second backcourt count starts when A has control in the backcourt, so not until that happens.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Okay... it is true. JDW nailed it. Good job!! By rule Team A retains control (that was not an issue) but it does not say that Team A must have possession, which is where the misconception is. By rule Team A can not have Team control in their backcourt for more than 10 secs... That is what you have when the ball touches Team A's BC. Got it. thx
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

OK then ...

... so Team A has control, so during this loose ball situation, any foul on an A player is a Team control foul? I would venture to say that I've never seen a Team Control Foul called when players are scrambling for a ball.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy
... so Team A has control, so during this loose ball situation, any foul on an A player is a Team control foul? I would venture to say that I've never seen a Team Control Foul called when players are scrambling for a ball.
Yes, a foul during this "loose ball" would be a TC Foul on any player from A. Several people have argued that the NFHS should institute a "loose ball foul" rule for this scenario, but I don't see that happening.

I've called a TC foul in this type of situation many times.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Or a time out being granted when a ball is being passed between teammates
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
Or a time out being granted when a ball is being passed between teammates
Not sure who you're replying to, BEAREF, but a TO during a live ball in play may only legally be granted to a team whose player has player control. Team control alone does not give a team the right to be granted a TO.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Yes, a foul during this "loose ball" would be a TC Foul on any player from A. Several people have argued that the NFHS should institute a "loose ball foul" rule for this scenario, but I don't see that happening.

I've called a TC foul in this type of situation many times.
Very interesting. I'll keep my eyes out for this.

So, if B1 deflects a pass into the backcourt and has a few steps on A1 and a potential layup, but A1 in his haste to catch up, bumps B1 to the floor, it is a Team Control Foul, thus no free throws if in the bonus. Lets hope I have a very understanding Coach B if that layup could have sealed a win.