The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking First time partner cracked me up

Last night I worked with a guy for the first time. He's been around for a while, but we just never crossed paths. In Q2, A1 has ball near his endline in front court and passes to A2 who is in their back court. Partner calls violation. Coach A wants explanation. Partner: "Your player was below the free throw line and passed the ball over the center line. That's a two-line offside."

In Q4, he had an inbound violation when B1 moved off the spot to throw the ball in. Coach B asked what the call was. Partner: "He was off the spot when making the throw. That's a balk."

Late in the game, he called an intentional foul (good call) when a kid ran into another kid from behind. He reported it as a "cross body block". I asked him about that and he said, "You think maybe it was a chop block?" He was smiling when he said it.

I spent the last quarter of the game waiting to see if he was going to call "icing".

After the game, I asked him about a technical he called on Coach B. He said that in a situation like that, he always thinks "WWJD". I said, "Really"? He said, "yeah, you know - What Would Joey Crawford Do?"

I'd work with this guy anytime.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:22pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I'm just not this quick.....and I'm not sure I could pull it off or want to.

Ever have a coach take the game too seriously and get pissed at the sarcasm or attempt at humor? Just curious.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Ever have a coach take the game too seriously and get pissed at the sarcasm or attempt at humor? Just curious.
Quare si mihi cura est. (You do speak Latin, don't you?)
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Leave my mother out of this....

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 02:01pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Not so much....no.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just used one of those online translators and this is what it translated it as: "Wherefore if you wish me management is"
Official Forum Member

Boys jv few years back.

ref to table:

"Fouls on red, 4-2, knocked him upside the head"
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 02:05pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiogima
I just used one of those online translators and this is what it translated it as: "Wherefore if you wish me management is"
I tried one too and it came up something like "You might ask what my care is......"
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm just not this quick.....and I'm not sure I could pull it off or want to.

I have -- in that rare case I cant blame the coach for my comment so I have to let (to an extent) his remark slide.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 02:44pm
If you need me, text me!

Must have been the night for quips... Late in the first half I call a block on the home team's post player (team foul #8). As I report the foul the home coach says "that was more like a mugging" I asked her, "Since it was a mugging should we give her two shots?'" Her reply, "No, the one and one is enough, thanks though."
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 02:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Last night I worked with a guy for the first time. He's been around for a while, but we just never crossed paths. In Q2, A1 has ball near his endline in front court and passes to A2 who is in their back court. Partner calls violation. Coach A wants explanation. Partner: "Your player was below the free throw line and passed the ball over the center line. That's a two-line offside."

In Q4, he had an inbound violation when B1 moved off the spot to throw the ball in. Coach B asked what the call was. Partner: "He was off the spot when making the throw. That's a balk."

Late in the game, he called an intentional foul (good call) when a kid ran into another kid from behind. He reported it as a "cross body block". I asked him about that and he said, "You think maybe it was a chop block?" He was smiling when he said it.

I spent the last quarter of the game waiting to see if he was going to call "icing".

After the game, I asked him about a technical he called on Coach B. He said that in a situation like that, he always thinks "WWJD". I said, "Really"? He said, "yeah, you know - What Would Joey Crawford Do?"

In rec basketball if you can't have fun like this, what's the point of working?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I tried one too and it came up something like "You might ask what my care is......"
It's a colloquialism in Latin that means "Ask me if I care".
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:07pm
We don't rent pigs

Oh, great.....now we have to look up coloq.... cloak.....uh....that other word.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 08:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

What? No yellow card????
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 10:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
What? No yellow card????
Isn't that from that Euro game? You know, the one for kids who can't use their hands.