The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Goal Tending

I dont have a case book so i thouhgt i ask you guys. Watching a jv game and A1 made an attempt missed completly and B1 goes up for the rebound hitting the net. The refs called this goaltending im jsut curious as to if this is or not.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotties7125
I dont have a case book so i thouhgt i ask you guys. Watching a jv game and A1 made an attempt missed completly and B1 goes up for the rebound hitting the net. The refs called this goaltending im jsut curious as to if this is or not.
If I understand your play, A1 shoots misses badly, B1 goes up for the rebound hitting the net on the way up.

If no part of the ball is on the rim or the imaginary cylinder above the rim which has the ring as its base then this is nothing and even if it was it would never be goal-tending.

If the ball was on the rim or in the imaginary cylinder and B1 hits the net, the call would be basket interference.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:00pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Based on your grammar and punctuation, I'm not clear on the play you're describing. However, if the defender had his hands in the net while the ball was on the ring or in the cylinder, it would be basket interference, not goaltending.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Based on your grammar and punctuation, I'm not clear on the play you're describing. However, if the defender had his hands in the net while the ball was on the ring or in the cylinder, it would be basket interference, not goaltending.
Sorry about the grammer not a big fan of typing. The best way i can put it was no the ball was not in the cylinder above
the rim. When Player B1 touched the net the ball was in the cornor of the rim and back board.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry about the grammer not a big fan of typing. The best way i can put it was no the ball was not in the cylinder above
the rim. When Player B1 touched the net the ball was in the cornor of the rim and back board.
Read previous post...Basket Interference not Goal-tending.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
Read previous post...Basket Interference not Goal-tending.
Ok Then the offical must of duffed this one he called it goal tending and couting the basket.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok Then the offical must of duffed this one he called it goal tending and couting the basket.
Either way you would still count the basket for the "A" team. B/I & G/T carry the same penalty on the defensive team.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If no part of the ball is on the rim or the imaginary cylinder above the rim which has the ring as its base then this is nothing and even if it was it would never be goal-tending.

If the ball was on the rim or in the imaginary cylinder and B1 hits the net, the call would be basket interference.
It's not BI to touch the basket while the ball is in the cylinder. It's nothing.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He's not the only one.
Listen to Bob Jenkins. He has it right.

Quote:
If I understand your play, A1 shoots misses badly, B1 goes up for the rebound hitting the net on the way up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
It's not BI to touch the basket while the ball is in the cylinder. It's nothing.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 10:02am
Official & Member

Quote:
If the ball has fallen through the ring, isn't it in the cylinder? or is it only considered a cylinder above the ring?
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 10:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
If the ball has fallen through the ring, isn't it in the cylinder? or is it only considered a cylinder above the ring?
Rule 4-6-2.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

ok Thank you very much.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me rephrase no BI if the net is touched while the ball is off the rim & in the imaginary cylinder. The ball would have to be touched in order for this to be BI. If the ball is on or in then BI would apply

Rule 4-6-2...Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.

I read this to say that if the ball is in the cylinder not the imaginary cylinder, but the cylinder of the basket (RIM) and the net is touched then that would be BI. (This might be what BOB is saying anyway)

In the OP's play the ball is on the ring when the net is touched, BI.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 08:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
You can rephrase it, but your re-phrasing is 100% diametrically opposite to what you stated above. As per NFHS rule 4-6-1&2, you were completely wrong. That's what Bob was telling you.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You can rephrase it, but your re-phrasing is 100% diametrically opposite to what you stated above. As per NFHS rule 4-6-2, you were completely wrong. That's what Bob was telling you.
Can't get nothing by you JR!!!! I got to writing to quickly between BI and GT and didn't take the time to comprehend what I wrote....thus why I said let me rephrase!

Quote:
Quote:
"DELETE IMAGINARY"

Your right! I was wrong! Thanks for being so quick to point that out.