The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Goal tending or no? (WASH/UConn)

What did you all think about the goal tending no-call in the last couple of minuets of OT in the Washington/Uconn game? With the benefit of replays I thought that it was probably goal tending. It also looked to me like the player who rebounded the shot was OOB but I couldn't tell for sure. Thoughts?
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

On the replay I thought it was just barely goaltending. At full speed, on the run, tough to say....

That looked like a really tough game to work.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

I thought it was goaltending when I saw it live and still think so with the benefit of replay, but after seeing the replay, I was slightly less certain, the ball was very near its apex. Either way, a very tough decision and certainly not a no brainer either way at game speed.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

I thought it was goaltending and it seemed really obvious to me. But eh, who am I?

On a sidenote, what crew was that? Big 12 or SEC? Don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't too impressed. And by that, I mean it seemed like there wasn't any consistancy. Anyone else???

(I like how my dues are due tomorrow and I still haven't turned them in. How horrible am I? )
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:27am
Do not give a damn!!

I thought it was a missed call, but I had to see it on replay to make that determination. This was not an easy call at all or obvious by any means. I have no problem with the call because it was so close. It was an either or type of call.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTripleJump
I thought it was goaltending and it seemed really obvious to me. But eh, who am I?

On a sidenote, what crew was that? Big 12 or SEC? Don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't too impressed. And by that, I mean it seemed like there wasn't any consistancy. Anyone else???

(I like how my dues are due tomorrow and I still haven't turned them in. How horrible am I? )
These are not crews these are individuals. Most officials at this level work multiple conferences in the first place. It is entirely possible that all three officials never worked together until tonight.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Clearly goaltending

What surprises me is how high up the Center official was...barely in the TV screen. Although I guess the trail could've come in, but I'm guessing he was straightlined.

I give Coach Romar a lot of credit for not going ballistic.

Hey, Sean! How did your season go?
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
These are not crews these are individuals. Most officials at this level work multiple conferences in the first place. It is entirely possible that all three officials never worked together until tonight.

Peace

Oh, don't get me wrong. I know all about the "hey, they work multiple conferences thing." I wasn't, however, sure if say the "sec" got to officiate a certain final or if "hey, you three have been selected to work..." You get what I'm saying?

I know for sure one of the guys in that crew works in the Big 12. I've seen him do numerous Texas Longhorn games.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Goaltending was my call made in real time from the luxury of my couch, and thus confirmed when I saw it on replay. It was the C's call and I believe it was Steve Skiles in the slot at that particular time. Probably caught him completely by surprise with an, "Oh, S**t" kinda reaction followed by a huge gulping sound of air flowing in the opposite direction of his whistle. Certainly didn't decide the game but it was one of those "game changing moments"! Correct me if I'm wrong, too, but I believe it was Skiles that called the double-T also. Tough night certainly for that crew.....
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizanno
What surprises me is how high up the Center official was...barely in the TV screen. Although I guess the trail could've come in, but I'm guessing he was straightlined.

I give Coach Romar a lot of credit for not going ballistic.

Hey, Sean! How did your season go?

You talking to me?

Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 02:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong. I know all about the "hey, they work multiple conferences thing." I wasn't, however, sure if say the "sec" got to officiate a certain final or if "hey, you three have been selected to work..." You get what I'm saying?

I know for sure one of the guys in that crew works in the Big 12. I've seen him do numerous Texas Longhorn games.
As I stated before each official is assigned individually. I believe you have to have worked a Conference Championship game or become recommended by a conference. So each conference gets to recommend 3 officials to the NCAA. Those are the officials that work the NCAA Tournament and they try to keep officials away from conferences they normally work. So if you are recommended by the Big Ten, the NCAA will keep you away from the Big Ten conference as much as possible. Each official gets advanced not much different than the teams playing. Out of 6 officials in each little bracket, 3 will advance to the next level. If they do not do a good job (according to the NCAA) they will not advance. I think you can work a Final Four and not work a Regional Final btw. So the guy you said you have seen a Texas games is not working any schools with Big 12 teams in them.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I noticed the same thing. They never all seemed to be on the same page. It' didn't look like they were all having their best night of the season.

With all the slo-mo replays the goal tend looked very, very, close. I know what it's like to have something your not expecting happen and miss it. I was working a camp last summer. We had a fast brake and I was T or C (3 person crew - can't remember which). A1 lays the ball in then B1 reaches from under the net and punches the ball out so it almost hits the ceiling. Both the other official and I were caught by surprise and the L ended up having to call it. We all saw it and knew what the right call was it was just a matter blowing the whistle.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 02:16am
M.A.S.H.

Not that the media knows what they are talking about, but I believe I heard SportsCenter give the officials credit for making the "correct" call.

It was certainly a tough call, live I thought it was correct. Slow it down, and it's certainly harder. But, got to give the benefit of the doubt to the official. He made the call and sold it and I'll buy into his call.

Great game!
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 02:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostars
We had a fast brake and I was T or C (3 person crew - can't remember which). A1 lays the ball in then B1 reaches from under the net and punches the ball out so it almost hits the ceiling. Both the other official and I were caught by surprise and the L ended up having to call it. We all saw it and knew what the right call was it was just a matter blowing the whistle.
I had a similar situation like this happen in this year's post season. I was the Regional Championship and with about 2 or 3 seconds to go in the game the team losing at the time shoot a desperation shot and the defender goes up and swats the ball away above the rim and quite high. It took me a second to just realize what happen, but I made the call with about 1.7 to go on the clock (host team lost). I guess it was really obvious to a lot of people and I was told by someone associated with the host school who also is a basketball official told me right after the game it was the right call. I just know in my mind it seemed like it took several minutes before I made a decision. I was caught off guard but I am sure I made the right call. That was about as pressured a situation I was in and there were not millions of people on TV watching either. I also did not see many replays on my play to know if I did everything right or wrong either.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Not that the media knows what they are talking about, but I believe I heard SportsCenter give the officials credit for making the "correct" call.

It was certainly a tough call, live I thought it was correct. Slow it down, and it's certainly harder. But, got to give the benefit of the doubt to the official. He made the call and sold it and I'll buy into his call.

Great game!
I think you've got the wrong thread.

In this game there was a close goaltending that wasn't called.

Live I jumped out of my seat and screamed GT, it's just good for my roommates that I didn't have my whistle in my mouth. These are tough sometimes because you're not watching the ball.