The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Mark T D'N:

Thank you for this excellent explanation. It hits exactly on my confusion, and makes the situation much more clear. I think you are saying that the best thing for the Offensive player to do, is to step forward into the contact so that the defender has committed a foul and can't gain the ball. This is how I have called this contact in the past, but I didn't realize that the "swimming" was the first illegal move.

Extrapolating a little, if a dribbler is driving down the lane, and a defender puts an arm out horizontally, we call a block if the dribbler runs through the arm, but if the dribbler puts up his off hand and pushes the defender's arm out of the way, is it now PC?
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 07:19pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Mark T D'N:

Thank you for this excellent explanation. It hits exactly on my confusion, and makes the situation much more clear. I think you are saying that the best thing for the Offensive player to do, is to step forward into the contact so that the defender has committed a foul and can't gain the ball. This is how I have called this contact in the past, but I didn't realize that the "swimming" was the first illegal move.

Extrapolating a little, if a dribbler is driving down the lane, and a defender puts an arm out horizontally, we call a block if the dribbler runs through the arm, but if the dribbler puts up his off hand and pushes the defender's arm out of the way, is it now PC?
Yes.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

What do you call when you get the offensive player using the swim move? Do you call it a hold? It's hard telling a coach you have a hold on his player when the defensive player is behind his player.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 02:08pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Neck Ref
What do you call when you get the offensive player using the swim move? Do you call it a hold? It's hard telling a coach you have a hold on his player when the defensive player is behind his player.

No matter who commits the foul using swim move (offense or defense), I use the illegal use of hands signal. When a player holds his/her arms parallel to the floor and impedes the movement of his/her opponent, that is holding, not blocking.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
No matter who commits the foul using swim move (offense or defense), I use the illegal use of hands signal. When a player holds his/her arms parallel to the floor and impedes the movement of his/her opponent, that is holding, not blocking.
Then, no sarcasm intended, why wouldn't you use the holding signal?

Chuck
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 11:22pm
Administrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Chuck

I would and do use the holding signal, I thought my statement implied that I would.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Chuck [/B]

I would and do use the holding signal, I thought my statement implied that I would. [/B][/QUOTE]

Nope. If you look above, your comment was that you use the illegal use of hands signal. That's why I was confused when you said it was a holding foul.

Chuck