The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Okay, I want to hear your opinion on this -

Our girls have 6 players. The opposing team has appx. 15-18. The score is 61-61 at the end of the quarter. 4 of our girls have fouled out, leaving us with only 2 to play. The opposing coach plays ALL 5 of his girls on our 2, running up the score on us, and taunting us, forcing us to go all over the court to try and "get the ball." Mind you, we are a small school, so one girl out there can hit a 3 every once in a while, and the other one is fairly good; however, this is not a strong defence OR offense, no matter who you play. Every time the other team would score, they would press on us. One of our girls gets her 5th foul at 1:11 left on the clock. The coach walks off with a smirk on his face, and the whole crowd booing him and his team.

Was this not the most disgusting display of sporstmanship? Since I'll be officiating midget-mite (youth league) games next season, I've made this committment to myself - if I ever officiate a game like that, if the other team dares to BREATH on the other team, it's an automatic foul as far as I'm concerned. What's your opinion?
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming that this is a HS varsity game.

That said, If the game is tied and I'm the opposing coach, I'm going to do everything in my power to try to win. Of course I'll double and triple team. Yes, I'm going to have my team pass to an open girl so we can score.

Taunting, by word or gesture, however, is never acceptable and should result in a technical foul. Precisely what was the taunting of which you speak?
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'd say if the score was tied at 61-61 with a couple of minutes to go, you should be incredibly proud of your team and your coaching, and it is a great compliment to you that the opposition was worried enough about winning, that they are still pressing when you only have two players.

Taunting is always unsportsmanlike, but when you say taunting are you talking about specific acts? or just general playing hard, with some pass fakes, and maybe a quick slalom dribble?

It sounds like when your players learn to defend with their feet, you'll be unstoppable!!

Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 04:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05
The score is 61-61 at the end of the quarter.
WOW! I've never seen a game with 132 points in the first quarter! What was the final - 265-264?
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The opposing coach plays ALL 5 of his girls on our 2]
By rule, The opposing coach must play 5 while s/he has that many available.

To echo what someone else said, teach the girls to play D with their feet.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
WOW! I've never seen a game with 132 points in the first quarter! What was the final - 265-264?
Yeah, haha. You know what I meant. I didn't say first quarter. I would hope you could assume I meant the end of the 4th quarter.

Quote:
I'd say if the score was tied at 61-61 with a couple of minutes to go, you should be incredibly proud of your team and your coaching, and it is a great compliment to you that the opposition was worried enough about winning, that they are still pressing when you only have two players.
Not necessarily; there was about 30 seconds or so left.

Quote:
Taunting is always unsportsmanlike, but when you say taunting are you talking about specific acts? or just general playing hard, with some pass fakes, and maybe a quick slalom dribble?
Some of that, and passing the ball to each other the last 45 seconds or so, knowing that we couldn't cover everyone, sort of rubbing our noses in it. But they did it in a way that stripped the girls of their dignity, but it was legal.

Quote:
That said, If the game is tied and I'm the opposing coach, I'm going to do everything in my power to try to win. Of course I'll double and triple team. Yes, I'm going to have my team pass to an open girl so we can score.
Anybody who is willing to throw away their integrity to win a game shouldn't be involved in sports AT ALL.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

1. the taunting should have resulted as a technical foul, if it was, in the official's oppinion, taunting.

2. By what you posted, it appears as if you expected the opposing coach to only play 2 players, not double/triple team, and not make you chase for the ball, if the score is tied, I would try to win. Sports are fun, but the object is to win and have a good time doing it. Taking winning to an unhealthy level and stooping to things such as taunting is not good, but wanting to win isn't a bad thing. What exactly did you expect the coach to do? I don't think that doing the things mentioned above (minus the taunting) warrents as "throwing away their integrity"

3. As rainmaker said, you should be proud of your team, from what you have said, they were not of equal caliber to the other team, but they stayed in the game and almost won it. To me, this shows a lot of effort! Be proud of them!
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Matthew, do you go to Northside?
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Not to sound too sarcastic but if you only have six girls to begin with why would you let four of them foul out?
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

No, I don't, BktBallRef. Have you ever heard of the Nantahala Gordge? It's around there.

Well, we didn't have much of a choice. It was a physical game, and we can't rotate players, obviously.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, I don't, BktBallRef. Have you ever heard of the Nantahala Gordge? It's around there.
That's pretty wild! E. Carteret beat Northside Jacksonville 63-16.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 02:23pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Wink ARITHMETIC

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

61+61=122
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 03:04pm
Esteemed Participant

I played in a HS game way back when that ended in a similiar way...we had two guys go down with injuries and three others foul out...since we had two suspended for the game for smoking after practice - we only started with 8...we played the last 3 min. with 3 players...the other coach and players never stopped playing - but since we were ahead when we lost the last two (the injuries) we ended up winning by 3 points...how do you think the pther team felt??? How would this team have felt if - in a close game like this - their coach "calls off the dogs" and one of your players hits a desperation heave at the buzzer to win by one??? They beat you and you didn't like it...tough.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 04:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink Re: ARITHMETIC

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:
Quote:

61+61=122
I didn't say that was the total of points in that quarter. I just said I'd never seen 132 points in the first quarter.

Please, be accurate.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 04:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink Re: ARITHMETIC

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:
Quote:

61+61=122
I didn't say that was the total of points in that quarter. I just said I'd never seen 132 points in the first quarter.

Please, be akkeritt.