The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rules Shooter Knock down

More specifically the Duke game I am watching right now. Duke G, Paulis, shoots 3 pointer releases and then is knocked down on his way to the floor. According to NCAA rules there is no airborne shooter rule so should he get 3 shots? They gave him 3 shots.

I know in NFHS rules of course 3 shots is warranted but I thought NCAA was administerd differently?
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 07:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by regs1234
According to NCAA rules there is no airborne shooter rule
Really? If so, that's dumb.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

I am not exactly sure but if your reference that the rule difference is stupid I agree. I worked a NFHS game with a college official last night and he informed me that the airborne shooter rule does not apply in college but I would have to look it up in NCAA rule book. He did mention though if you are going to make that foul call, you may as well give them the free throws bc it is a better sell. If contact is not severe just pass on it...If contact is so bad as such it is displacement after the shot just call a common foul. But by rule I remember him saying shot released and away then u are not dealing with airborne shooter and free throws.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regs1234
More specifically the Duke game I am watching right now. Duke G, Paulis, shoots 3 pointer releases and then is knocked down on his way to the floor. According to NCAA rules there is no airborne shooter rule so should he get 3 shots? They gave him 3 shots.

I know in NFHS rules of course 3 shots is warranted but I thought NCAA was administerd differently?
the "no airborne shooter" statement ONLY applies to a PC foul. That is, a shooter who has released the ball and is still aitrborne cannot commit a PC foul -- any foul will be a common foul and the try will count (if successful).

The statement DOES NOT apply to fouls ON the airborne shooter. The player is stil considered to be in the act of shooting until he reaches the floor. Thus, the three FTs described were correct.

Edit to add: The above applies to NCAAM only. the NCAAW rule is the same as the FED rule.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for clarification
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 09:04pm
In Memoriam

NCAA rule 4-69-7...."An airborne shooter who is fouled by an opponent, while in the air but after the ball is released, shall be considered to be in the act of shooting until that airborne player returns to the floor."

I saw the call in the Duke game. Good call. Guys working that level won't screw up a call like that.