The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

I had this happen Friday night. Coach is going nuts wanting "3 seconds!," during multiple shots and rebounds.

I ended up calling a foul, reported it, and went directly to the coach and said, "Coach, I KNOW that YOU know the 3 second count resets on a shot," coach looked like a deer in headlights and said, "okay," and sat down. JV boys coach and it's late January and you don't know this? Crazy.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 12:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

"Coach - that wasn't 3 seconds even in dog years."
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup. For instance, if someone doesn't enforce a rule accurately, I get frustrated. Case in point.....oh.....maybe the penalty for a technical foul called on a head coach.

You're not very consistent, BZ.

Oh, my talk about taking things for a spin.

Knowing the rule is one thing.

Understanding the spirit and intent of the rule is another.

Common sense is yet another.

All 3 are needed to be a good official...many get stuck at the first.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 04:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Oh, my talk about taking things for a spin.

Knowing the rule is one thing.

Understanding the spirit and intent of the rule is another.

Common sense is yet another.

All 3 are needed to be a good official...many get stuck at the first.
How can you equate knowing the spirit and intent of a rule when you adamantly refuse to apply that rule as written? The spirit and intent of the rule is to seatbelt any coach who has received a technical foul of any kind.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Mon Jan 21, 2008 at 04:58pm.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
How can you equate knowing the spirit and intent of a rule when you adamantly refuse to apply that rule as written? The spirit and intent of the rule is to seatbelt any coach who has received a technical foul of any kind.
The thread relating to the seatbelted coach has been closed -- everyone knows your position and BZ's position on that. Drop it.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 08:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player to gain an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

varsity level

started doing 3 man varsity...im used to calling 3 sec violations mainly because it cleans up the middle and makes my job easier...seeing screens and allows the players run their plays...been taught to wait until an advantage is gained and will talk to them early to get them moving..but at varsity level it seems that they would rather let them camp than call 3 secs...dont understand the reasoning and was hoping for some seasoned thinking...maybe flow
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 05:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale
...been taught to wait until an advantage is gained and will talk to them early to get them moving..but at varsity level it seems that they would rather let them camp than call 3 secs...dont understand the reasoning and was hoping for some seasoned thinking...maybe flow
You've been taught correctly imo.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Not to be pedantic but...

Several posters have said that the three second count "resets" on a shot. I'm sure most of us know what the rule really says and will not be tripped up by this phraseology, but at least one of those posters seems new here. So....

The three second count does NOT "reset" on a shot -- it stops entirely. One of the requirements of the three second rule is team control. Team control ends on a shot. Thus the three second rule also ends with the shot. If it takes 5 or 8 or 10 seconds for somebody to secure a rebound, this is not a problem because the three second rule is not operative again until team control is established. At the point where team control is re-established, then you begin a new three second count. So it is possible for a team to shoot, miss, rebound, and do it all again many times and there is no three second violation.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 07:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Reset Or Ends ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
The three second count does NOT "reset" on a shot -- it stops entirely. One of the requirements of the three second rule is team control. Team control ends on a shot. Thus the three second rule also ends with the shot. If it takes 5 or 8 or 10 seconds for somebody to secure a rebound, this is not a problem because the three second rule is not operative again until team control is established. At the point where team control is re-established, then you begin a new three second count. So it is possible for a team to shoot, miss, rebound, and do it all again many times and there is no three second violation.
Back In The Saddle: Great post, especially for new officials.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

2 nights ago end of first half team A with a throw in on their baseline. There are 2.6 seconds on the clock. Immediately after the ball is thrown in I hear " 3 SECONDS, .3 SECONDS" from some genius in the stands.

Couldn't believe it.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 01:11pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Back In The Saddle: Great post, especially for new officials.
And fans. And coaches. And players.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Zip your Lip!

Had an entertaining experience about 5 years ago while reffing a middle school tournament game, 2man. The visiting coaches, very young 18-20, kept counting out loud for home players in the key and they were doing it about like the OP, obviously didn't have a clue about the rule (or how to coach either) . After about the third trip down the court and constantly hearing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 sometimes before the ball even crossed halfcourt, the senior ref with me says I'm going to fix this. On the next dead ball he goes over to the coaches and says, I'm sick and tired of you guys counting out loud. The next time I hear you counting outloud it is your way of telling me that you want a technical. So if I even hear 1, you'll get one, a technical! Understood? Never heard another count the rest of the game, odd thing though, they never counted higher than 6, maybe that's as high as they could count?