The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Three seconds, Ref...! Three seconds!" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41196-three-seconds-ref-three-seconds.html)

PSidbury Sat Jan 19, 2008 04:49pm

"Three seconds, Ref...! Three seconds!"

In a 14-15yr old youth league game this morning, that uses NFHS rules as a foundation, the Coach (who's team is currently on defense) is incessantly yelling "Three seconds, Ref...! Three seconds!" while the offensive team is shooting, rebounding, shooting, rebounding... all under the basket, in the lane.

4-12-3 says a team is in control until a try for goal.
9-7-1 says a player shall not remain for three seconds in (lane)... while ball is in control of his team.

So, if the ball is constantly in a state of control/non-control (the shooting, rebounding, shooting part), then it would seem by these definitions that everybody can stand in the lane for as long as they want while repetitive shot attempts and offensive rebounds are occuring.

In other words, this coach was really getting on my nerves by screaming "Three seconds, Ref! Three seconds!..." every time (which seemed quite often) this flurry of repetitive shot attempts and subsequent offensive rebounds occured.

So for my own sanity (and maybe a little moral support ;) ) I'm asking: My situation does not warrant a three-second violation, correct?

Thanks,
Paul

jdw3018 Sat Jan 19, 2008 04:57pm

You are correct, there is not violation as you've described it.

And the next chance I got to talk to that coach, he'd be warned that yelling about rules he doesn't know will warrant a technical foul. Maybe not quite that direct, but he'd know he was wrong and that his screaming for calls wouldn't be tolerated...

26 Year Gap Sat Jan 19, 2008 05:17pm

Sounds like '10 seconds' to me. The shooter has 10 seconds to shoot each of the two FTs resulting from the technical foul.

BillyMac Sat Jan 19, 2008 06:20pm

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player to gain an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.

lpbreeze Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:02pm

the player is in the lane for two seconds, then gets the pass. do you start the three second count over?

JugglingReferee Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpbreeze
the player is in the lane for two seconds, then gets the pass. do you start the three second count over?

No; the three second count does not reset when a player gains possession of the basketball.

RCBSports Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpbreeze

a question i was going to ask. I have these youth leagues that i do and i had a parent come and ask me if i could explain the whole three seconds (which is 5 sec in the league). i said sure i can try and that came up to my mind. i know after each shot it restarts but if the pass was from the outside to in the inside, does it reset?

Thanks

bigdogrunnin Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:25pm

My reply to the coach . . . "Coach, every time I hear you yelling three seconds I forget what number I was on and I have to start over . . ." ;)

OK, not really, but there are times when I have wanted to . . . like 5 second closely guarded count, 10 second backcourt count, etc.

RCBSports Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
My reply to the coach . . . "Coach, every time I hear you yelling three seconds I forget what number I was on and I have to start over . . ." ;)

OK, not really, but there are times when I have wanted to . . . like 5 second closely guarded count, 10 second backcourt count, etc.

lol, yea thats a good one. i know what you mean. i just want to tell them, 3 seconds? What's three seconds? lol.

-Lucas

blindzebra Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
No; the three second count does not reset when a player gains possession of the basketball.

You may want to re-read the rule.

It's not a new count, but an allowance is made as long as the player turns and moves for a goal.

JugglingReferee Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
You may want to re-read the rule.

It's not a new count, but an allowance is made as long as the player turns and moves for a goal.

Oh boy. :rolleyes: You're bringing a whole new animal into the discussion. You, you provided more information, but what I said wasn't true nor do I need to re-read the rule. I see JR's frustrations.

blindzebra Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Oh boy. :rolleyes: You're bringing a whole new animal into the discussion. You, you provided more information, but what I said wasn't true nor do I need to re-read the rule. I see JR's frustrations.

Someone can read what you wrote and wrongly call 3 seconds.

So getting things accurate frustrates you?:rolleyes:

dave30 Sun Jan 20, 2008 02:53am

In youth leagues I always tell the coaches that I will listen to you until you start trying to referee the game for me. When you do that, I will take care of it.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 21, 2008 07:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
So getting things accurate frustrates you?:rolleyes:

Yup. For instance, if someone doesn't enforce a rule accurately, I get frustrated. Case in point.....oh.....maybe the penalty for a technical foul called on a head coach.:)

You're not very consistent, BZ.

steve33 Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin

I was at a rival schools game (NJCAA Women) and overheard a discussion between the HC and official.

HC was begging for 3 seconds and then the ref just came out and said "Coach, you might as well stop, since we don't call 3 seconds in college"

The violation was called however, later in the game, in favor of the opponent :p