The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
"Three seconds, Ref...! Three seconds!"

In a 14-15yr old youth league game this morning, that uses NFHS rules as a foundation, the Coach (who's team is currently on defense) is incessantly yelling "Three seconds, Ref...! Three seconds!" while the offensive team is shooting, rebounding, shooting, rebounding... all under the basket, in the lane.

4-12-3 says a team is in control until a try for goal.
9-7-1 says a player shall not remain for three seconds in (lane)... while ball is in control of his team.

So, if the ball is constantly in a state of control/non-control (the shooting, rebounding, shooting part), then it would seem by these definitions that everybody can stand in the lane for as long as they want while repetitive shot attempts and offensive rebounds are occuring.

In other words, this coach was really getting on my nerves by screaming "Three seconds, Ref! Three seconds!..." every time (which seemed quite often) this flurry of repetitive shot attempts and subsequent offensive rebounds occured.

So for my own sanity (and maybe a little moral support ) I'm asking: My situation does not warrant a three-second violation, correct?

Thanks,
Paul
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct, there is not violation as you've described it.

And the next chance I got to talk to that coach, he'd be warned that yelling about rules he doesn't know will warrant a technical foul. Maybe not quite that direct, but he'd know he was wrong and that his screaming for calls wouldn't be tolerated...
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 05:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Sounds like '10 seconds' to me. The shooter has 10 seconds to shoot each of the two FTs resulting from the technical foul.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 06:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player to gain an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

the player is in the lane for two seconds, then gets the pass. do you start the three second count over?
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 11:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
the player is in the lane for two seconds, then gets the pass. do you start the three second count over?
No; the three second count does not reset when a player gains possession of the basketball.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

My reply to the coach . . . "Coach, every time I hear you yelling three seconds I forget what number I was on and I have to start over . . ."

OK, not really, but there are times when I have wanted to . . . like 5 second closely guarded count, 10 second backcourt count, etc.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
No; the three second count does not reset when a player gains possession of the basketball.
You may want to re-read the rule.

It's not a new count, but an allowance is made as long as the player turns and moves for a goal.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RCBSports
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
a question i was going to ask. I have these youth leagues that i do and i had a parent come and ask me if i could explain the whole three seconds (which is 5 sec in the league). i said sure i can try and that came up to my mind. i know after each shot it restarts but if the pass was from the outside to in the inside, does it reset?

Thanks
WVSSAC - MonValley Referee
Little League Baseball Umpire Coordinator