The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Possession after foul while shot is in the air

I'm looking for clarification on a call I think I got wrong the other day. It was a MS game and it wasn't close so it had no huge bearing, but I want to be sure I get it right the next time.

I am lead. Team A has the ball in front court, running their offense. Ball is reversed, A1 launches a 3-pt FG. While ball is in the air, B1 is under the basket for the rebound and clears out A2 with a hip check, moved him 3 feet. The 3-pt attempt swishes, I call a foul on B1 for a push and verify to the table that the shot is good.

We are not in the bonus. Who gets the ball OB?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Basket counts, team A will inbound the ball after the foul by B. My question is, did B gain an advantage since the shot went? Could have the foul been ignored?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

It is my understanding that team A gets the ball out of bounds.

In the same situation above, except where A2 fouls, I believe you coun't the try and award team B the ball out of bounds.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer

In the same situation above, except where A2 fouls, I believe you coun't the try and award team B the ball out of bounds.
This is correct.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Basket counts, team A will inbound the ball after the foul by B. My question is, did B gain an advantage since the shot went? Could have the foul been ignored?
Definitely a legitimate question, though 3 feet is a lot of displacement and may be enough contact that the call needs to be made regardless of the shot going...
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Cool, I called it right. For some reason after Team A inbounded the ball I thought it should've been Team B because the foul occurred during the shot and not after. Not sure why, just a brain fart I guess.

As to whether B gained an advantage since the shot went in, the foul occurred early in the shot. I had no way of knowing it was going in when I blew the foul. I guess I could've waited, but if B1 ended up with the rebound it would've been one seriously delayed whistle.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
Cool, I called it right. For some reason after Team A inbounded the ball I thought it should've been Team B because the foul occurred during the shot and not after. Not sure why, just a brain fart I guess.

As to whether B gained an advantage since the shot went in, the foul occurred early in the shot. I had no way of knowing it was going in when I blew the foul. I guess I could've waited, but if B1 ended up with the rebound it would've been one seriously delayed whistle.
In my opinion, a patient whistle is better than a quick one.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand what you're saying and I agree 100%. I'm much more patient and deliberate than I was when I started a couple years ago.

However, as I mentioned previously, the rebounder really launched a kid sideways a good 2-3 feet with a hip check. And sometimes in MS games these kids apply what they see in NBA games thinking that's normal, or don't yet know what's permissable and what isn't, and often a tweet is part of their b-ball education process.

So I agree with the patient whistle theory, but in this case I don't regret making the call. It was more than an aggressive box out.

As always, thanks to all for your valuable input.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a solid call. Sometimes you have to make that one to keep the game clean.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer

If this was the situation .. A1 launches an attempt at a 3 pointer and A2 fouls B1 while the shot is still in the air, doesn't the foul by A2 cause the ball to become immediately dead and the shot does not count if it goes in? Then B gets the ball for a throw in a the designated spot nearest to where the foul occurred?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
If this was the situation .. A1 launches an attempt at a 3 pointer and A2 fouls B1 while the shot is still in the air, doesn't the foul by A2 cause the ball to become immediately dead and the shot does not count if it goes in? Then B gets the ball for a throw in a the designated spot nearest to where the foul occurred?
No...if the shot is in the air, it will still count.

The only time there is a difference based on offensive or defensive foul is if the shooter has started his/her shooting motion but hasn't yet released the ball. In that situation, an offensive foul would cause the ball to become dead immediately, while continuation would apply to a defensive foul and the shot would still count.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 02:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
In my opinion an uncalled hip check that moves somebody three feet is gonna lead to trouble down the road. They ain't playing hockey.

Are you going to let the same thing go at the other end?

Some plays call themselves, irregardless of a patient whistle. To me, this sounds like one of them.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Jan 18, 2008 at 03:02pm.