The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Team A is taking the ball out of bounds on the sideline. In order to get free, player from team A pushes off of Team B player. Official,calls a foul which puts Team A over the limit. Does Team B shoot a 1 and 1 or do they get the ball out of bounds.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 02:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by PHSCoach
Team A is taking the ball out of bounds on the sideline. In order to get free, player from team A pushes off of Team B player. Official,calls a foul which puts Team A over the limit. Does Team B shoot a 1 and 1 or do they get the ball out of bounds.
The fouled B player will shoots 1/1 if the foul called was team A's seventh foul of the half. It's not a player control foul, if that's what you were thinking of.

Welcome to the forum, Coach
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you. I had this situation in a game today and the two officials would not listen. They both said that the foul was a player control foul because the team trhat committed the foul was in control of the ball, even though the ball had not yet been brought in bounds.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you. I had this situation in a game today and the two officials would not listen. They both said that the foul was a player control foul because the team trhat committed the foul was in control of the ball, even though the ball had not yet been brought in bounds.
What rules do you play under?
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 02:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Thank you. I had this situation in a game today and the two officials would not listen. They both said that the foul was a player control foul because the team that committed the foul was in control of the ball, even though the ball had not yet been brought in bounds.
Unfortunately, Coach, the officials misunderstood the rule. For a player to have control, and thus commit a player control foul, they must be either holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. That definition is right out of the rule book.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It does make a difference whether you are using NCAA or NFHS rules. Under NCAA rules this would be 'team control' and no shots would be taken.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 03:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Preston High School? Who were the refs? Maybe I know them.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

By rule, could they not also assess this as a technical foul if the ball had not been given to the thrower? If the official has not administered the ball yet then the ball is still dead and this is a T. Realistically I would be real careful on this one before calling it but that is the rule, right?

If the ball is at the disposal of the thrower than you shoot the bonus (NFHS). We had that happen last night and administered a 1 and 1.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 05:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
By rule, could they not also assess this as a technical foul if the ball had not been given to the thrower? If the official has not administered the ball yet then the ball is still dead and this is a T.
Contact during a dead ball could be a technical foul if you judged that the contact was intentional or flagrant in nature. Sounds like that might be a little bit of a reach in this particular situation though.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Quote:
It does make a difference whether you are using NCAA or NFHS rules. Under NCAA rules this would be 'team control' and no shots would be taken.
Exactly Devon, which is why I asked what rules the game was played under. May have been a couple of college officials who temporarily forgot the rule difference.