The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

BJV- 3 point shot goes up and in. Shooter lands without contact then defender gives him nice little hip check. Clearly a foul-displaced player about 2 feet. I tweet. I point to give ball on sideline . Partner-vet official-overrules me saying its still part of shot and we end up giving shooter one shot. I believe I had the correct penalty and partner was mistaken.....Feedback please.....Mike
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfen
BJV- 3 point shot goes up and in. Shooter lands without contact then defender gives him nice little hip check. Clearly a foul-displaced player about 2 feet. I tweet. I point to give ball on sideline . Partner-vet official-overrules me saying its still part of shot and we end up giving shooter one shot. I believe I had the correct penalty and partner was mistaken.....Feedback please.....Mike
"Mr. Veteran official, thanks for your input, but I have the call correct. Please take the ball out in the spot I designated as the foul happened AFTER the shot."

...but make sure you are 100% right! If you are, then stand up for yourself and don't be run over by a so-called vet who really shouldn't have any idea what you called in your area anyway!
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

That's a close one. I usually judge it to be part of the shot IF the shooter is still in the vulnerable position just after they hit the floor. But, if it is Clearly, 1 or 2 seconds later then yes, it is a common foul. It's much easier to sell as a shooting foul, nobody ever seems to understand it as a common foul unless of course, the three goes in and their in the double bonus. Then all of a sudden that's what they want.