The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
For newer refs, or for vets who are starting to take things a little more seriously, I'd be interested in hearing what kinds of items people keep track of for purposes of deducting them on their taxes. (This assumes that you report all your officiating income.)

I know that the following can be used as deductions:

Cost for anything that uniform related (Pants, shirts, whistles, shoes, etc.);

Cost of association dues and assignment assessment fees;

Cost of educational material related to officiating ("Referee" magazine subscription, camp tuition).

Are there other things that I should be keeping track of? I'm just trying to get a head start on it, since the end of the tax year is just about here.

Chuck
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Mileage, meals, hotel fees if applicable
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Don't forget mileage for travelling to association meetings and required state clinics.

With regards to mileage to games if you have a primary job.
The deductible mileage is the one way miles from your first job to second job (the game). The trip home from the game is non-deductible commuting. If you work a game on a day that you don't work at your first job, you get no deduction for the mileage.(assuming the game is local)

I also deduct a portion of my cell phone costs since it is used to contact partners and assigners.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Huskerblue
Mileage,
Does this require you to keep a log for verification purposes? How do you know (and prove) your mileage?

Quote:
meals
Anytime you eat on the way to or from a game, you can write it off? That seems a little too generous for the IRS. How does it really work?

Chuck
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I deduct my cell phone, and tax software, since I wouldn't need it if I didn't ref.

I also include postage and office supplies as well (envlelopes), and I keep these separate and only use them for ref related items, and extra insurance I buy from USAVB.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Does this require you to keep a log for verification purposes? How do you know (and prove) your mileage?

I keep a log of my games on MS Excel that includes the game site, mileage, income received, etc. I know my mileage via my odometer and I can prove it via a map.

Quote:
meals
Anytime you eat on the way to or from a game, you can write it off? That seems a little too generous for the IRS. How does it really work?

Chuck [/B]
Meals are deductible when incurred in the conduct of a trade or business while "away from home". You are not "away from home" unless you are away from the general area of your home for a period substantially longer than an ordinary workday and it is reasonable to you to need to sleep or rest.

In a word, your hamburger on the way home from the game is not deductible. The guys travelling out of town for games and spending the night are the ones getting the meal deductions.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 12:03pm
In Memoriam

I've had some partners that I should have been able to put down as "dependants".
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 12:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Tax software is always deductible, regardless of whether you need to file a Schedule C.

Remember to deduct any officiating related subscriptions -- Referee Magazine (NASO), if you are a paid member of Officiating.com, any dues you pay your state or local association.

All uniform and gear related expenses.

Camp and clinic fees.

If you travel to officiate, then unreimbused travel expenses are included. I take a few trips to work baseball tournaments each year and since the sole purpose of those trips is to umpire the tournaments, just about everything spent is deductible.

Referee Magazine has a pamphlet/booklet on tax treatment for officials. I'm thinking about ordering it, and it sounds like it would be perfect for you, Chuck.

Mileage is not as easy as it sounds. If you commute from your primary job, you can only deduct that additional mileage. I keep a log of every game worked, because that's the only way to know how much I've made and how much mileage I've driven. If a school pays mileage, then obviously you can't double dip.

Rich
(who used to live in Natick, MA)

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Dec 18th, 2002 at 11:05 AM]
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Clothing cleaning expenses, if there are those that don't wash their own uniform.

While my wife was returning from officiating a state tournament, the transmission went out on our vehicle. She was able to deduct additional expenses for out of town lodging, phone calls, car rental to get home and to return and retreive our vehicle after repairs. Put a rather significant dent in her earnings.

Additionally, I have a volunteer ski patrol buddy that his tax accountant has instructed him to deduct the expenses of exercise equipment used to maintain his personal physical conditioning. This one seems a bit of a stretch to me. Agreeably, as officials we need to be in good physical condition to perform our job and hence earn money. But deducting the expense of a bicycle, roller blades, weight machine, athletic club fees, running shoes, exercise clothing, etc. seems far fetched. Perhaps someone here has some better guidance. Any tax lawyers among our people?
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

Additionally, I have a volunteer ski patrol buddy that his tax accountant has instructed him to deduct the expenses of exercise equipment used to maintain his personal physical conditioning. This one seems a bit of a stretch to me. Agreeably, as officials we need to be in good physical condition to perform our job and hence earn money. But deducting the expense of a bicycle, roller blades, weight machine, athletic club fees, running shoes, exercise clothing, etc. seems far fetched. Perhaps someone here has some better guidance. Any tax lawyers among our people?
I am a CPA that has specialized in tax work for the last fourteen years. I don't want to be construed as dispensing professional advice here but I'll just say that I wouldn't go that far.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I've had some partners that I should have been able to put down as "dependants".
LMAO.... After the last few "partners" I have had, I can only laugh.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
LMAO.... After the last few "partners" I have had, I can only laugh.
Does that mean you're deducting the cost of the chiropractor for back realignments?

Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 05:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I deduct earplugs and the bananas I use to placate the howler monkeys.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I deduct my cell phone,
I have a cell phone and I certainly do use it for officiating, but I use it for personal stuff too. Can I deduct the cost? If not, what would be the requirement for me to deduct the cost? Would I have to prove that I use it ONLY for officiating? I would be willing to get another cell phone if I could write off the whole cost, but again, this seems a little too generous for the IRS. Any ideas?

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
Great question! I've been thinking the same thing!

Barry, do you have any advice?

LG