The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 23, 2000, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have any good tips that would help my game?
Thank you!
Old Wed May 24, 2000, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Without seeing your game there is no way I can help you. I would go to a camp if I were you, and then you would get told how to improve your game.
Old Wed May 24, 2000, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Ilya,

I would suggest also that a camp would be in order. Be a sponge and soak up all you can from the critiquers and camp instructors, for there is a reason that they are calling the level of ball that they are. Find an experienced official in your chapter and/or subchapter that you can follow and learn from. Attend games that your fellow officials call, and don't be afraid to ask questions about certain situations. Learning from other people's experiences as well as your own will expediate your acceleration up the officiating ladder. Also, keep active in the ereferee discussion board, because we all can share with each other to make each other better!! Best of luck!
Old Wed May 24, 2000, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ilya:
Does anyone have any good tips that would help my game?
Thank you!

I would work all the games that you can fit into your schedule... AAU, scrimmages, junior high ball, etc. It takes years to "perfect" your game, and you'll never stop learning. The only type ball that I would stay away from is rec ball (adult men)... that isn't basketball any more than the NBA is.

Old Wed May 24, 2000, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Ilya, Are you asking about help for your game for Playing or Referee? In either case i think the answer is the same, go to camps.
Old Wed May 24, 2000, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I'm takling about playing..
So, camps are the best choice? Ok. thanks
Old Wed May 24, 2000, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Can anyone explain illegal deffence to me, please?
I can never understand what the heck that is!
Old Thu May 25, 2000, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

quote:

It is when the defenders came over the border without a passport.(just Kidding)
Have a great day

Old Fri May 26, 2000, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
quote:

Until you are ready to make six figures officiating or playing basketball, then you have no need to know the answer. I sure don't.

Old Fri May 26, 2000, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Ilya, I don't have the book with me. There are different guidelines for defending the dribbler and defending opponents without the ball. When it comes to explaining legal defense, its best to first read exactly what the rule says. I think the rule says it best.
Old Fri May 26, 2000, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Ilya -
Its been a while since I saw an explanation of illegal defense with specifics. My info is from an excellent SI article from years back, and although the details may have changed, the general rule appears to be the same from the calls I see made in the NBA today.

Essentially, the court is divided into zones, lengthwise and widthwise. Lengthwise, there were three zones, two major zones with what amounts to an overlap area in between ( a couple of feet max). If your player is in the upper zone, you must be either in the upper zone or that small overlap area, or, you must be doubleteaming the ball. Same holds true for widthwise, except I believe that it was a staight division of the court in half (no overlap area). You have to be on the same half of the court as your player, or you must double team the ball. The rule also specifies the amount of time you have to move into a doubleteam position, or to be in the same zone as your player (2.8 seconds comes to mind for some reason).

By the way, wasn't that an illegal defense on the last Knick play by Sprewell? It sure looked like the second defender (Miller? Rose?) was floating in no-mans-land while Sprewell was deciding what to do with the ball. Oh well, Indiana's home court with less than 10 on the clock, I don't think they're going to make that call! Nevertheless, it really appeared to influence Sprewell's choice to pull up with the turnaround rather than driving. (anticipatory note- I am neutral, a Pistons/ Wizards fan, but pulling for Indiana, so this ain't sour grapes guys!) Maybe the Knicks don't get all the calls, just all the calls against the tight-collared Heat.