The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 03:02pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to Moshiner1345
Question Blocked shot goes in

NFHS rules, Situation:

Team A is dribbling up the court and at half court A1 tries for a long shot towards their basket. During the attempt, B1 blocks the half court shot and it goes into team B's basket. How many points are scored for team B? This play may never actually happen, but my partner last night swears it happened to him in an 8th grade boys game.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 03:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshiner1345
NFHS rules, Situation:

Team A is dribbling up the court and at half court A1 tries for a long shot towards their basket. During the attempt, B1 blocks the half court shot and it goes into team B's basket. How many points are scored for team B? This play may never actually happen, but my partner last night swears it happened to him in an 8th grade boys game.
Two points. Team B did not attempt a try. I do not see this as any different if a ball bounced off the back of a player and goes in their basket.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 03:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
NFHS rules, Situation:

This is two points, as there was no try for goal; it is just a live ball that legally went through the basket.

I can believe the situation. Every season, with games I do played above the rim, I see blocked shots that travel rather far after the block. But 8th grade. Hmph, ok.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 03:13pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
NFHS rules, Situation:

I say give 'em 10 points.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

can someone route me in the right direction for this in the case/rule book?

I'm not doubting the call, I just want to read it in depth.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Did the horn sound before the ball went in?

I assume the kid wasn't trying a half-court shot with 3 minutes left.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 03:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Did the horn sound before the ball went in?

I assume the kid wasn't trying a half-court shot with 3 minutes left.
Very good point!

Edit: you're referring to the stipulation that since this is not a try, there is no allowance for the quarter to be extended until the try ends: that is, the horn sounding during the ball's flight and before entering the basket, the quarter ends and the basket is nullified.

As an extention, if B1 was fouled during this blocked shot act, there is no shooting foul.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Wed Jan 16, 2008 at 03:21pm.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 04:25pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to Moshiner1345
I never thought to ask him about the time when he explained the situation to me. But let me get this straight. Hypothetically: Say that A1's shot occurred with 1.5 secs to go. A1's shot is blocked by B1. The horn goes off after the block but prior to B1's block going into B's basket. No goal because it wasn't a try?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I never thought to ask him about the time when he explained the situation to me. But let me get this straight. Hypothetically: Say that A1's shot occurred with 1.5 secs to go. A1's shot is blocked by B1. The horn goes off after the block but prior to B1's block going into B's basket. No goal because it wasn't a try?
That is correct.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 07:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citations Please ??

I'm not saying that the posters in this thread are wrong, but I'm not very comfortable with some of the answers.

I believe that when the three-point goal was first introduced, officials did have to distinguish between a three-point try (three points), and an "alley oop" pass that happened to go in (two points). I also believe that we had to give two points to a ball that was shot from behind the three-point arc, but was touched (blocked, tipped, etc.) by a defensive player who was inside the three-point line.

Haven't those original three-point arc rules changed since then? I believe that an "alley opp" pass that happens to go in is now three points, and I also believe that a a ball that was shot from behind the three-point arc, and was touched (blocked, tipped, etc.) by a defensive player who was inside the three-point line, now counts as three-points.

I'm pretty sure that a full court shot that bounces on the court behind the three-point arc and goes in is only two points, beczause it's not a try.

I'm not 100% sure of my understanding of these situations, so, citations, please.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 08:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Billy,

If you block a shot and it goes into your own basket that means that the basket you have been trying to score on all game long. This is not a typical 3 point shot vs. a 2 point shot argument. You cannot shoot a 3 point shot into the other team's basket. And a blocked shot is not a try.

If you really need a reference, look at 5-2-1 where it says:

A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts as three points. A ball that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official or another goal from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown. See 4-5-4.

Now since a blocked shot is not a try, there is no support to give three points.

I think you might have misunderstood the question.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 08:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wrong Basket ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Billy, If you block a shot and it goes into your own basket that means that the basket you have been trying to score on all game long. This is not a typical 3 point shot vs. a 2 point shot argument. You cannot shoot a 3 point shot into the other team's basket. I think you might have misunderstood the question. Peace
JRutledge: You're correct. I've had games the past two nights, and have gotten home too late to check the Forum, so, tonight, I tried to go through the new posts quickly. I didn't realize that the ball went into the "wrong" basket. Thanks.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm assuming this ball gets deflected behind the original shooter to the goal B1 would normally try to score in. My question: Why couldn't this block be considered a tap?
I'm leaning towards two points her, just thinking it through a bit.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:39pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'm assuming this ball gets deflected behind the original shooter to the goal B1 would normally try to score in. My question: Why couldn't this block be considered a tap?
4-41-5: A tap....is the contacting of the ball.....in an attempt to direct the ball into the basket.

To consider that a player blocks his opponent's shot and tries to direct it into his own basket at the same time would be a stretch, wouldn't it?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'm having a real hard time believing that a blocked shot is going to cover 35-40 feet in the air with over 10 feet of height to go in...I am picturing a shot, a block, the ball going some distance and then bouncing off the floor into the basket.